1. Health

Marcia Purse

Does Lamictal Cause Memory Loss?

By June 29, 2003

MichelleR, a member of our forum, asks about Lamictal and memory loss. She shares, "I take Lamictal currently at 125 mg. I don't take any other psych meds besides my Lamictal. My big problem is my memory. My short term memory sucks. I can't remember anything. It's in one ear out the other. But, I don't know if it's the meds or just my racing thoughts."

Some resources list "concentration problems" as a rare side effect of Lamictal, generic name Lamotrigine, so it is possible that your memory loss issues could be caused by the medication. This is most certainly something you should discuss with your doctor.

Following are some additional resources for information on this medication:

Lamotrigine [Lamictal] - Side Effects
Voices of Experience: About Lamotrigine [Lamictal]
Links Library

Comments
March 31, 2008 at 12:09 am
(1) Danny says:

After taking Depakote, Dilantin and several other drugs for my Epilepsy, I think I’ve finally works for my Epilepsy, moods, and difficulty in maintaining a regular diet. It’s the only anti-epileptic I’ve taken that doesn’t upset my stomach the way Depakote and Dilantin do. If your anti-epileptic medication is not working for you, or you are having adverse side from the meds you are taking now, ask if Lamictal is right for you.

September 19, 2008 at 6:40 pm
(2) kerry says:

I was taking 300mg of Lamictal for depression and I had terrible memory problems. I had to drop out of graduate school because of it. Now that I’m on a much lower dose 100mg I’m back in school and my memory is fine.

September 25, 2008 at 4:23 pm
(3) Bipolar92 says:

I have take lamictal for a number of years and find my memory can berealy bad but sometimes is ok.

I think a problem with taking a cocktail is you are not sure what side effects go with what.

September 29, 2008 at 8:16 pm
(4) mike says:

Lamictal really affected my memory negatively. I knew nearly all of my 200 students names in March. After a month on Lamictal I forgot about 50 % of them. That’s hard data. I will never take it again. It helped the depression but spun me into hypomania, also.

March 13, 2009 at 6:10 pm
(5) john corbett says:

Lamictal (150mg daily) has completely removed my (diagnosed) epilepsy symptoms, but the short-term memory loss has been dramatic. Names are the worst affected – I blank even on people well known to me. I had meant to add something else but have forgotten what it was!!

May 2, 2009 at 4:16 pm
(6) KirstyForsyth says:

I have been taking Lamictal for 4 years now-200mg daily, and my short term memory has gradually become worse and worse..I constantly forget simple instructions affecting my work, and I struggle to concentrate..On top of this I have become extremely clumsy and have problems with balance.
I thought I was going crazy- glad Im not the only person with these side effects!

May 24, 2009 at 2:24 pm
(7) jeanie says:

Oh my gosh! I’m so glad I found this online. Yes, this medication causes memory loss with me. (laughing) Also, I’ve noticed that my typing suffers (spelling) I’ll have the correct letters but will turn them around, as if my fingers are dyslexic. When I go to call one of my family members to me I’ll name everyone from distant second cousins to the cats before I finally hit upon the correct name. It’s just awful, although my children find it highly entertaining at times. I have noticed, however, that if I lower my doseage to 100mgs and break the tablet in half.. taking one half in the morning and one after lunch, that it helps just a little bit. Please post something if you find a solution to this problem. I’d love to hear about it, because in every other way the drug has been a lifesaver.
(hugs)

June 1, 2009 at 12:56 am
(8) Jldaws says:

I have been so frustrated for last couple of years with my memory loss and confusion too. I also have the balance problem and I tend to choke a lot when I inhale to speak or eat. It really makes me feel better that I’m not the only one. I just want to fix it, I hate dealing with it. I’ve actually been concerned that I may be exhibiting early signs of Alzheimer Disease. It is very prevalant in my family. Now I feel better knowing others are experiencing the same thing. Thanks

June 1, 2009 at 10:16 am
(9) tanner says:

Ive been on lamictal now for about 1 year. My memeory loss is very bad. More short term that long term but it has effected both for me. It has not changed the amount of sizures that I have as I only have them in my sleep anyway. Only my wife knows when they happen. However my memeory loss is very bad. Will see the Dr next week to see if this can be helped.I now take 150mg twice a day

June 7, 2009 at 7:09 pm
(10) Laura Young says:

I just happened to google Lamictal and memory loss. My long term memory seems fine, but I suffer from confusion and memory loss. I mentioned it to my doctor but he sort of pushed it aside saying the benefits outweigh the costs.

I have been on 100 mg of Lamictal for a year and this memory loss is terrible. I am worried about the long term problems.

I have always been great with names and now am terrible.

I am only 26 and I really worry about the long term effects.

June 23, 2009 at 12:53 pm
(11) SueDee says:

I took lamictal for about a year and I had a horrid time with my memory. I honestly thought I had Alzheimers. But the very worst thing was falling all the time. I hurt myself several times in these falls and the Doctor would never agree with me that it was the Lamictal causing it. finally I insisted on a trial run of no Lamictal and my falling stopped within two weeks and my memory improved, but I do think it has had lasting effects!!

June 24, 2009 at 12:48 am
(12) Elizabeth says:

I have had some memory issues while on Lamictal for Bipolar Disorder. The biggest problem for me is word retrieval. It actually took me a lot of thought to remember the word “retrieval”. (c;

But considering the alternative, I’ll (almost) gladly forget a few things.

June 25, 2009 at 8:34 pm
(13) Paddy says:

I have been on Lamictal for a couple of years now and my memory has been affected. I have a hard time remembering all the options I have to process a return at work. I have to call for help and then feel dumb when they show me the other options available. I KNOW the stuff, I just can’t remember it on the spot. Short term memory is worse than long term. I thought is was just me. I’m glad it’s not, but am sad others are affected the same way.

June 25, 2009 at 11:16 pm
(14) Hue says:

What? Who? How? When? Why? Where?
I sincerely thought I was getting Alzheimer’s Disease because of my memory loss. I feel so stupid when I can’t remember the name of the person who works next to me. However, no other medicine in the world works like Lamictal to stop the symptoms of my “bipolarosity” so I won’t stop it until I forget where I live and ride around aimlessly!

One thing that is weird is that I yawn continuously whenever I am reading something aloud!!!! My niece uses Lamictal ONLY and she does the same thing so I know that has to be the cause. Has anybody experienced this? It doesn’t happen when I read silently….just out loud. This is really a pain because I’m a teacher and need to read stories to the little ones!

June 27, 2009 at 12:30 am
(15) Meg says:

I’m not on Lamictal for bipolar disorder, I’m on it for epilepsy. I’ve been on at least 5 medications for my seizures and all of them had some sort of memory loss but Lamictal by far is the worst. Unfortunately it is the one that has worked the best with my seizures. I can tell you everybody in my kindergarten class (I’m 23) but if you asked me what I did last Saturday, I couldn’t tell you. It makes school A LOT harder for me and I break down sometimes about it. I’m lucky that I have friends that can laugh off the fact that they’ve heard the same story five times. I really want to find something that can help with my memory loss. :/

July 31, 2009 at 7:52 pm
(16) mav says:

HUE–I have experienced the exact same thing. Especially when I read stories to my kids at night. I figured I was just really tired, but it seems to only happen when I read the stories. Afterwards, no more yawning. Weird.

September 8, 2009 at 12:02 am
(17) Dave says:

I’ve been on lamictal for several years for bipolar spectrum. I have also been concerned about early Alzheimer’s so it is reassuring to read that others share my experience. I am tapering down & will continue tapering down possibly off it completely until my memory and ability to concentrate return. My 17 yr old daughter is on it too, and I am going to recommend that she cut back.
If anybody has any other ideas please post them.

September 11, 2009 at 9:53 pm
(18) Caroline says:

I’ve been on Lamictal for only 3 months now, and I’m extremely concerned with my loss of attentiveness, concentration, and memory. I’m on 350 mg per day and going back to the doctor soon, to increase my dosage, because my seizures are nowhere near under control. I’m only 14 and in very difficult all honors classes in school so I’m worried that my grades are starting to suffer! What should I do?

September 28, 2009 at 9:27 am
(19) Fox says:

I’m glad to have found this, and I’m glad to realize that I was correct in deducing that it was the medicine that was causing my life to go to hell. My memory problems had gotten so bad whilst taking Lamictal that I would forget where I was at whilst out in public, why I was there or even which of my two vehicles I had driven there in. It was so bad that I was close to checking myself into a psychiatric hospital, as I was getting to the point where I was unable to care for myself. Easing up on my dosage has significantly reduced these symptoms, so I’m going to see about getting off this garbage. Every medicine I’ve tried for my bipolar disorder has only made things worse — I went from being an impulsive, moody but driven person who accomplished things to being nearly a vegetable with a destroyed life in almost two years. Bipolar disorder didn’t ruin my life — psychiatry did. In my case, he cure really has been far, far worse than the disease.

September 29, 2009 at 4:57 pm
(20) Joan says:

I have been on Lamictal just over a year. I have
had a lot of side effects, some have gone but others
are still with me. One of the worst is constantly
falling. The other day I fell twice, one I wound
up with a black eye plus other bruises. The worst
is not remembering that I fell. I had appendix
surgery just a month ago. I was in the hospital for
a week, because they ruptured. I was dehydrated
also loss of appitite. Almost a week later I had
a seizure, the doctors think that it was brought
on by the trauma of the surgery and also being so
dehydrated. Three weeks after that is when I fell.
This has left me completely stressed out and
nervous.

September 30, 2009 at 10:01 pm
(21) Bill says:

I have epilepsy…been on several meds and they all affected my memory. I was on extended release dilantin, which gave me similar side-effects as Dementia…stories were going around I had this because I was affected on both long and short term..severley…I went to a new neurologist who put me on Lamotrigine….I began on 25mg tablets…and noticed things were fine, then when I reached my 100 level, I then noticed a huge difference..in memory, fatigue, etc…I have learned that lamotrigine is also a mood stabilizer..it helps to level our thoughts and yes it makes us forget things..purposely for this reson…many seizures are triggered from the faulty electrical activity in the brain….this will help to mello these, as well as helping with depression and other mental disorders. Not only from meds, but also from brain surgery I have a memory disorder. After my surgery I had NO MEMORY at all…could not read, write, talk, spell, history of my life, my family, etc…Well, over time, I worked on many things, took in volunteering and was tought how to improve memory…after doing more research on memory, audio tapes, specialist, I have learned how to deal with this…yes, it is annoying, but there are ways to help improve…(talk to doctors) about vitamins/food, etc. Also there are many mind games we can do that helps the memory…Audio tapes help you to use other parts of your brain when it comes to remembering things, writing things down also helps, and keeping your brain active in many activities also helps allot. Rest is another thing…(better sleep, decreasing anxiety, etc) The more you let it get to you, the worse things can be…we don’t want to let this happen, to do your best to deal with things. Again, we are not alone here, both people on the meds and others who have the knowledge. I wish all the best to everyone……it is good talking about things…with other people in similar situations.

October 2, 2009 at 3:04 pm
(22) John A. Mason says:

I’ve been on Lamictal 200mg BID for over a year now. I haven’t related it to any memory loss or other side issue that I can tell. My memory, especially short term, is getting worse, but I attribute that to my Bipolar II and my increasing age (currently 52). In any case, Lamictal has helped stabilize my mood (I’ve been on many mood stabilizers)… so I am not inclined to stop taking it.
John

October 6, 2009 at 12:18 am
(23) Amy says:

I have been on Lamictal for about 4 years now except for the 9 months I was pregnant. I have noticed my memory is getting progressively worse and have mentioned it to my doctor but she didn’t seem to take me seriously. I am glad I found these comments, I will have to show it to her. It has helped tremendously with my Bipolar but I am really having a hard time at work and in school with my memory and I am only 28.Memory loss isn’t listed as a side effect, but with all these comments I think there needs to be some further research!

October 8, 2009 at 11:57 pm
(24) Jerry says:

I grew up having only one real friend, my mind. My curiousity, my ability to grasp complex concepts visually. The tough thing about Lemectal is its taken away that friend.

I learned I am bipolar which is the reason for my enhanced capacity. Now I feel that my life has been a big parlor trick. My reference is waining.

Memory loss is the worst thing in the world for me. My wife says that if I quit lemectal she will leave me. Whats worse is she is acting as my keeper and I feel like I am slipping away.

October 15, 2009 at 9:02 am
(25) Brandy says:

I have been on Lamictal for about 4 months? Can’t remember exactly when I started. I cant even remember what dose I am on now. I think it is 200mg? When I went up to the 150, I had intense skin pain, the doctor said with no rash associated wit it I should be fine. Felt like a horrible sun burn, but no mark. We lowered my dosage, and it went away, and then we tried again to raise my dosage. Now, I am 27, and I suffer from short term memory loss. I am in nursing school, and can’t remember a lot of the stuff I was taught. I was in walmart the other day to buy fluid for the radiator, and seriously, I could not remember what fluid went into a radiator! I was so embarrassed I had to read the bottles because I didn’t want to ask!. I know this stuff, I trully do, and I mentioned it to my husband and he told me to look it up, and I found others are having this issue. I am talking to my doctor today.

December 9, 2009 at 7:34 pm
(26) Scot says:

For a while I thought I was losing my mind. I have epilepsy and am on Lamictal 200mg daily, I think. My short term memory is getting worse as the months/yrs go by and I wonder how long before I can’t even remember my name. I’ve been on several others…dilantin, depakote, neurontin and have found Lamictal has the least side effects. Kinda sad when the best medication for my situation turns me into a zombie. Still, seizures are not an option. Sometimes at work the simpliest problems end up being a major challenge and boy do I feel like an idiot. I’ve spoke with my doc and been told (very elegantly) to deal with it. I just wonder how long before I lose it completely. My grandmother is 85 and starting to forget things. I’m 33 and have been forgetting for a few years. Anywho I’m glad to have found you all even if under these unfortunate circumstances. Cheers

December 17, 2009 at 6:02 pm
(27) Annie says:

I am extremely relieved to hear about the memory others have experienced with Lamicdal. I have been taking 200 mg. per day for ca. 3 yrs + as part of a coctail for depression, bipolar features. I never had a great memory, but it has diminished significantly. I can’t remember the names of basic, basic things–names that are commonplace. Yesterday, I forgot which way you tighten screws–clockwise/counterclockw.–that I’ve known since I was a kid Words. Many many. I have to look up words I used to speak regularly. Names of famous people, places I’ve been, what somebody just said. Forget about movie titles. Titles I heard two days ago. Now my spelling is getting worse. Thank god for spell check. Sometimes now, I don’t talk as much for I’m afraid I will forget something minor. When when I started realizing this was happening, about 2 yrs ago, I thought it was either 1) the entire coctail; 2) the effects of life-long depression and twenty years of (very good for the most part) treatment; 3) early onset Alzeimers.

So, I started by looking up each of the meds I take, and landed here. I intend to see my doc, gradually diminish the dosage until I get the hell of it. At that point, we’ll experiment with other meds for mood stabilizing. I’ll keep in touch.

Annie

December 31, 2009 at 5:10 am
(28) Mitch says:

Oh My God!

I am so glad to read what I am reading today… I am almost crying since I tought I was going out of my mind. I am taking lacictal 150mg for a few months and memory loss and horrible concentration has been a problem starting and growing up in the last few months. Since I was single I met new people but never was able to remember all of what they told me, so they got very angry and stop seing me. A few months ago, I told my doctor (psychiatrist)about these symptoms and almost laughed at me and told me that she could not do anything for me. Two things for me know: Change my doctor and go off that garbage called lamictal

January 4, 2010 at 4:01 am
(29) kyle says:

I’ve been on Lamictal for seizures about 5months now. I used to have a great memory but since i started the meds it’s gradually gotten worse. i’m only on 150mg per day so i shouldnt be complaining but for every side effect that i’ve mentioned to my doctor he says either that it’s not a side effect from the meds or that i shouldnt have that because of my low dosage. It’s driving me crazy, lost my license for 6months, can’t drink on the meds, i’m always tired, can’t remember anything short term, and i’m always walking into stuff, i think being clumsy is kinda funny but could probablly be very dangerous.

January 10, 2010 at 5:06 pm
(30) Kate says:

I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 14 and now am 25. For most of this period I’ve been taking Lamotrigine but it has only been in the last 6 months that my short term memory seems to have had a seizure itself! Its so humiliating when I’m confronted with an easy question and my mind goes blank because I’m confused. Then panic hits in and I get so scared and embarrassed. I’ve begun to doubt myself, which obviously effects my confidence, not very helpful when I’m job hunting!

I must say that I felt relief reading through this site, thankful that I’m not the only one who feels like this. But I’m still confused as to where to go for help? Please help x

January 28, 2010 at 8:52 am
(31) Esteban says:

I was diagnosed with a low degree of epilepsy (I’ve only had one seizure and some mioclonies). The doctor insisted I needed treatment anyway. He wanted to put me on valproic acid but I said I didn’t want that since I had taken It before for a misdiagnosed psychosis and It made me feel REALLY tired. So the doctor told me Lamotrigine wasn’t as strong as the valproic acid and I started with 25mg.
At first I didn’t feel any change, no colateral symptoms, now I reached 75mg and I feel like I’m forgetting everything, can’t recall what I’ve done 2 days before, I feel like I’m loosing even long term memory. I used to write poetry and tales some years ago but now seems useless, I have to look for words on the web, my vocabulary is shrinking.

April 3, 2010 at 1:59 pm
(32) daisy d says:

Lamotrigine memory loss. I have been treated with Lamotrigine for over 10 years.

I have resently been diagnosed with Hughes syndrome check it out on the web, it might be causing some of your problems

April 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm
(33) Tess says:

OMG, I am SOOO relieved to find this! I am in my thirties and have had bipolar since I was a teenager. I took lithium and then a variety of other drugs, but have been on Lamictal for 2 years now. About 9 months ago I was taking measurements to make some curtains, when I found I was unable to do simple maths. I was devastated and became more and more confused and blurry in the memory department. I also get grumpy from intense frustration from forgetting words, conversations and what i have been saying mid-sentence. I am a technical writer and am considering giving up my career, as my work is suffering quite badly. I was really worried that I might have early- onset Alzheimers. I talked to my psychiatrist about it and he waved it off, saying there haven’t been any reliable studies done and you can’t measure it as everyone has different circumstances (grr). I am on 600mg of Lamictal a day, but unfortunately I am allergic to every other anti-convulsant there is. :( So I will have to put up with this or go back to Lithium (which makes me a robot). I have tried ‘Brain Training’ on the Nintendo and Omega fatty acids, but they don’t seem to make a noticable change (unless they are slowing it down and I haven’t realised). I guess I will have to accept that this is my new life, as it is still better than being ill. If anyone has heard anything about whether these problems get even worse the longer you take the meds, I would be very interested, as I might go back to robot-lithium, if I am just going to keep deteriorating. Anyway, I would love some feedback on that. Thank god my husband earns enough money to support us if I am unable to work anymore, otherwise I would be in big trouble! I am So So happy I found this thread.

April 7, 2010 at 11:38 am
(34) Lynn says:

I take Lamictal for petit mal seizures and depression. I’m driving my boss crazy with the simple things that I can’t remember and worry about my job. I’m single and must be able to work. I’m looking for ADD tips on focusing and such because med changes are so risky and difficult. I’m hopeful that I can find a way to work/deal with the memory, like occupational therapy.
As to life in general, my mind wonders constantly. Just as bad, I notice that I don’t want to do anything – ever. Just sit. I’m fine and raring to go first thing in the morning – but after taking my meds, my thoughts fade out before they’re complete, and I must force myself to do ANYTHING. Every day I leave tasks undone because I simply cannot make myself start them. It’s costing me a high price in self-esteem and confidence. I’ve never been a lazy person, but this lethargy saps my will. I want to feel like myself again – or find a way to cope and succeed on lamictal. Aside from the above, it’s a great med.

April 23, 2010 at 9:46 pm
(35) Lauri says:

Thank you, Thank you! I thought I was loosing my mind. I have been taking 400mg daily for the last two years, and have lost two jobs due to memory problems. I am an accountant who does taxes, and it’s pretty pathetic when I can’t remember simple tax law. Or long time clients names. I have to take tests to keep up in my field, and I can’t pass them. I have been doing taxes for 20 years! My Dr thinks that the memory loss is possible, but maybe I should retrain into a new field. I am bipolar, and I am beginning to think that the “cure” is worse then the disease.

April 27, 2010 at 12:17 am
(36) Kathy says:

I have been on Lamictal (300mg) for almost a year now. I thought that my short term memory problems had to do more with my age (54yrs) than the meds. After talking with a friend, that knows me pretty well, she suggested that it could be the drugs. I am so glad that I found this discussion. Now I know that it must be the drugs, and hopefully, there is something I can do. Like others, I to am having a hard time working and just living. I know that I annoy people when I have to ask people constantly repeat themselves. Hey, it anoyes me!! I’m going to continue to research the long term effects of our memory loss. I’m hoping I can find some good news…

May 20, 2010 at 11:19 am
(37) Teresa says:

I’ve been on Lamictal for about a year now, and it’s helped my bipolar disorder a lot. I have been noticing increasing short-term memory loss. I’m very embarrassed at work because I forget things all the time. It’s a very fast-paced environment, and I will forget what I was just working on. People will ask me questions about things I know but I can’t remember the answer. They ask me about what I was just working on, and I blank out. I can tell people notice and some seem very annoyed with me. It’s difficult because I was always very sharp and ahead of the curve. Now I feel senile. I tried a few other meds before that did not work well for me, so it’s upsetting to have this major issue with Lamictal.

May 20, 2010 at 10:55 pm
(38) Andi says:

I am also so glad I found this site. I was just in the process of looking up Alzheimer’s because of the extreme short term memory loss issues and stumbled on this site. I am vastly relieved to know it’s the Lamictal. However, like so many others, the medicine works great for my bi-polar disorder. What to do?

June 7, 2010 at 7:30 pm
(39) Dawn says:

I am so glad to find that I am not the only one having problems with this med! I have been on this medication since January and have found my short term memory loss to be scary. It is things that individually would not be a big deal but when it happens all the time, it is. The other day I went to the store to buy the ingredients for banana splits. I stood there, deciding which ice cream to buy, made up my mind, and then walked off. When I got home and found that I did not have ice cream, I called the grocery store (gotta love small towns!) and asked if I had left it there. Took a couple of hours to realize I had not even bought it. I decided to wean myself off of it when I let my puppy outside before bedtime – and forgot to let her inside. This little dog is my BABY and I would have never done such a thing 6 months ago. I panicked when I could not find her the next morning.
As a side note, I read to the kids at night and when I read out loud, I yawn constantly – drives me crazy.

July 10, 2010 at 3:20 pm
(40) Mykhailo says:

Does anyone who used lamictal and suffered from memory loss, experience a return to normal memory recall and cognitive functioning, after having stopped using lamictal.
Does anyone who uses lamictal and suffers from memory loss find any cognitive therapy that increases memory functioning?
Mykhialo

July 11, 2010 at 3:29 pm
(41) Raymond says:

I am 21 years old and I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder a couple of years ago.

I am taking 600 mg Lamictal a day.

Sometimes – I have weird (short-time) memory losses. For example (and this is the worst part to me) I can write words I perfectly know how to spell – but I am now used to re-check them. I need to re-read everything I write. Whether this is Lamictal’s fault or not – I actually don’t want to know. My extreme down-turns were far worse and Lamictal helps me perfectly defeating that part.

I am also regularly taking Valium for insomnia. My doctor has given me Valium for this for about a year. I’ve been suffering from insomnia since I was about 13-14 years old and now, I chose the outcome I find most comforting.

I don’t find it necessary to live a “happy” life. My only need is to function.

- from Norway

July 20, 2010 at 6:06 pm
(42) Laila says:

Praise Jesus for you all!

Taking it for migraines. Lucky I still remember I have migraines or to even take it.

Forgot how to use a compactor at work & the time clock’s printer function as well. Taking 300mg a day split over morning & evening.

I think it’s time to take matters into my own hands now & taper down. Dr. doesn’t care that I can’t remember anything & was even starting to feel tongue tied. Said that was anxiety.

Again, thank you all for sharing & making me forget my early dementia fears.

July 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm
(43) Mark says:

I have noticed many of the same effects in my life. I remember tasks my boss wants me to do until I reach the office door. So then I use a note pad but get distracted and can’t focus on the notes. My short term memory is mostly impacted by the ability (inability) to recall names of people I have met recently and the ability to retrieve a word. Its funny that one of the words I have difficulty retreiving is “lamictal”. Go figure.

July 28, 2010 at 11:28 am
(44) LMST89 says:

I have been taking Lamictal for BPD for 4 years…it stabilized my mood but I have also been having problems with short term memory. I have to keep a notebook at all times and am thinking of starting to use a voice recorder. I don’t like losing periods of my life, and I’m not certain it’s just short term memory loss. At my 20 year college reunion people were sharing memories that should have been mutual, but instead I felt like there was a black hole where the memory should have been.