1. Health

Marcia Purse

Reasons to Live

By July 24, 2008

I was watching the news last night and caught a quick cameo about a teen in Australia who, seeing a woman drowning, dove into the river and struggled for more than thirty minutes to keep her above water until more help arrived. The teen has been tagged a hero for saving her life. It is believed she was trying to commit suicide.

I really found this story inspirational. Here is a woman who thought she had no reason to live and a perfect stranger fought for her life. For me this is something to hold on to. No matter how dark is seems, your life is important to people who donít even know you. Important enough to risk their own lives!

This reminded me of this great little web page that was around a number of years ago. It was called something like ď101 Reasons Not to Take Your Life.Ē Itís been gone for a few years now, but I was thinking we could make a nice list right here. What do you hold on to when everything seems pointless? What is a reason for you to fight for your life?
~ Kimberly

Comments
July 24, 2008 at 11:41 pm
(1) meredith says:

One thing I hold onto and helps me fight is how taking my life would effect the children in my life. It would hurt them terribly and send a message to them that life isn’t worth living.

July 25, 2008 at 3:05 pm
(2) Madge says:

The only thing that has worked for me is the thought that I would not be here to see my 8-year old daughter grow up, and I nearly gave up on that last lifeline recently.

I made four attempts before she was born, but have had only one real desire to die since that time. I managed to call my pdoc and he admitted me to the psych ward for 2 weeks to recover the feeling that it is worth it to stay alive for her.

July 26, 2008 at 9:55 am
(3) Deb says:

I may be a weird duck on this. I think what keeps me going when I’m down is a deep curiosity about how my life will turn out. I think of it rather like a book, a mystery maybe, and I’m happy taking my time enjoying every chapter!

July 26, 2008 at 11:59 am
(4) Nancy says:

I definitely want to be here to guide my children through those teen years. I also hope to travel back to Italy with them some day, so they can see once again the places they lived while we were stationed there.

I definitely believe that God has a plan for my life (wish I knew what it was sometimes), and I try hard to focus on that thought when I’m feeling depressed.

July 26, 2008 at 4:46 pm
(5) Louise says:

When I hit the black hole of depression that this beast of Bipolar Disorder brings upon me, it is my belief in God’s unconditional love that makes me think twice.

Also, the knowledge that I would hurt my loved ones so deeply keeps me from acting on my ideations. I would never want to cause them such pain.

July 26, 2008 at 8:39 pm
(6) Charles Gluckman says:

My comment is similar to the other comments:

My daughters, the feeling of being a failure, relying on God to help me, and the memory of my late wife who would not want me to hurt myself.

July 26, 2008 at 9:58 pm
(7) lisa says:

i dont know you tell me…

July 27, 2008 at 4:43 pm
(8) Rebecca Randolph says:

Knowing how it would destroy my 17 year old son if his mother killed herself. Knowing how it destroyed me when my own mother did.

July 27, 2008 at 7:44 pm
(9) Cruise Austin says:

My two dogs, Sweetness and Blue. The love I have for them is reflected back from their eyes to mine. So, I guess it is love that keeps me going.

July 29, 2008 at 8:23 am
(10) Ann says:

My life insurance keeps me going. The insurance doesn’t cover suicide. Therefor, my daughter would be without financial resources to finish college. Once she is successfully independent then I would be free from this concern.

July 29, 2008 at 10:13 am
(11) Thomas says:

My children and grand children keep me alive.
I lived most of my life as a clueless bipolar (meaning I was too proud to admit I had a problem even though my ex and my children kept telling there was). Now I want to give them the dad and grandfather they deserve. One who is stable, fun and emotionally there when they need me.

July 29, 2008 at 5:30 pm
(12) Debbie says:

This was something I was thinging about last night. I have no children, no significant other. I wouldn’t committ suicide for fear my next life would be even worse. I would not step out in front of a truck but I don’t know if I would step out of the way.

July 29, 2008 at 8:49 pm
(13) Erin says:

Clinging to logic, when the feeling creeps in I tell myself that it isn’t real, my thought processes are being affected by the disorder, all I gotta do it grit my teeth and ride it out. The catch: the disorder can easily override logic. That’s when the strength of support groups step in. I would never want to disappoint my parents after all they’ve been through. They are a reason to live.

July 30, 2008 at 11:15 pm
(14) Hey Mikey says:

My two dogs, Rachel & Sarah – their love, and the betrayal of leaving them.

July 31, 2008 at 3:49 am
(15) JonnyQues3 says:

There are two reasons I will not take my own life. The first being that I beleive in God and I do not wish to suffer the consequences of his wrath. But if I didn’t believe in God, I might consider doing myself in knowing that their would be no ramifications to my act. The other reason is that I have no desire to hurt my Mom. My father has already passed.

August 3, 2008 at 2:30 pm
(16) May says:

I promised my husband when we got married that as long as we were together, I would honor and respect the promise not to kill myself. If anything happens to him or our marriage, all bets are off. That’s it. That’s the singular thing that keeps me from becoming untethered. Sometimes I resent having promised.

The story about the teen is reminicent of a similar scene in “It’s A Wonderful Life.” I think that people jump in to save other people because they just assume that since they themselves couldn’t imagine wanting to die, everyone else in the world must feel that way, too. So, they act based on that assumption. It never occurs to them that some people don’t actually want to be “saved.”

August 10, 2008 at 11:55 pm
(17) Virginia says:

I don’t want to hurt the people who love me anymore. I have things I want to accomplish now and I’m making a life for myself. I want to enjoy everyday challenges and challenge myself. I’m living my dreams, hopes and desires now. And I want to see how my life turns out!

August 16, 2008 at 6:42 pm
(18) ElwoodJ says:

Sometimes I don’t think there are really good reasons for living and this is when you are really down. The reasons just don’t come to you when you are down. But I know the depression will go away and return. Some situations seem insurmountable and the energy for effort to go on is not there. The reason to live is hard to find at these times. The women found purpose to live for their children, I applaud them.

August 27, 2008 at 12:20 am
(19) becca says:

my kitty and hampsters…my mom and dad…my brother who i only get to see every two years (we’re about due for another rendezvous)…breathtaking sunsets…jones soda cream soda…a hot rose-scented bubble bath…a GOOD scarey movie… PIZZA … stevie wonder … a live mountainous panoramic view… comics … horoscopes (come on – you know they’re fun!) … playing and singing songs for people … swing dancing … laughing so hard your mouth hurts (everybody’s done it) … kids say the darnedest things! (and no, I don’t have any yet) … cheese danishes and caramel lattes … … … hmmm… i know there’s more…

October 20, 2008 at 5:27 pm
(20) mr says:

the only thing that keeps me going is to see if nostradamus and the mayans were right about december 21, 2012(curious to see what happens). otherwise my dead end job, money disappearing from all stocks and 401k, girlfriend troubles, no college degree and no money to get one with are a few of the things that keep me going every day.

December 24, 2008 at 2:24 pm
(21) john says:

So did the girl she saved sue her? That’s what would happen here. My only reason for living is I don’t want to hurt those who love me. Not that I don’t hurt them now, I do, but my death would hurt them more. When the time comes, I’ll just disappear.

February 18, 2009 at 9:50 pm
(22) Dawn says:

You all choose to live for other people…? What happens when you have no one else in your life to live for? What do you live for then?

February 19, 2009 at 11:52 am
(23) bipolar says:

Somehow I have never been suicidal. Even through long and deep depressions I have lived for the future, believing it would be better. (I would consider suicide if I developed Alzheimers or something agonizing and incurable, though.) I have no children or significant other. I live to carve my future for myself.

March 14, 2009 at 11:57 am
(24) Katie says:

MY NAME IS KATIE AND IM 16 YEARS OLD I HAVE TRIED TO COMMIT SUICDE A COUPLE OF TIMES I FELT THAT THE FEELING OF WORTHLESSNESS AND HOPELESSNESS WAS TO OVERWELMING FOR ME WHAT HAS HELPED ME SOME IS TO KNO THAT MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS WOULD BE DEVISTATED IF SOMETIMG WOULD HAPPEN TO ME REMBER THEIR IS ALLWYAS A REASON TO LIVE

April 29, 2009 at 1:52 am
(25) Anthony says:

As an atheist, I am unable to use faith as a meaning or purpose to my life which leaves me to wonder what is the point of all of it? Even if I bring meaning to another’s life, in the end nothing will matter because everyone will eventually die. Even if something I do is passed on to the next generation, they too will eventually die and it will continue like this until all humans die. There is no point to working a job when all it does is afford you the opportunity to fill your day with meaningless distractions (i.e., sports, movies, coffee with friends). Most of these distractions aren’t fun and in the end don’t cover up the real problem – why? As such, I believe there isn’t a reason to live though I will continue to do so.

July 26, 2009 at 10:34 pm
(26) Keli says:

I can easily and wholly identify with you Anthony. That’s completely how i feel. I weave in and out of faith and religion. I can say that things have happened to me that suggest God’s presence, but it is still hard for me at times and i feel just like what you posted.

July 30, 2009 at 2:25 pm
(27) SouthAndNorth says:

If the woman was trying to drown herself, it was not a ‘cry for help’. She had borne all of life that she could cope with and she had chosen to bring her endless suffering to an end. A fool rushed in where angels (by their very absence) considered the effort to be inappropriate.

July 30, 2009 at 3:21 pm
(28) SouthAndNorth says:

I don’t like life (understatement!), but wife is my anchor to life. I am tied here by the depth of my love and affection for my wife, and for my children.

Occasionally they bring me brief happiness, joy, and more. Sometimes this can last for several minutes afterwards.

Regardless, I resent the strength of my attachment because as a result, I am denying myself the cessation, the absence of life, that I seek.

Death makes everything irrelevant: quiet, escape, love, dislike, money, psychiatrists, agony, peace, need, medication, work, insurance, doctors…

At some time it is an option for a few of us.

August 12, 2009 at 8:23 pm
(29) Tom says:

“Save but to bare witness to others of my Christ, I would be with him now!”-Paul

July 3, 2010 at 6:07 am
(30) Chantel says:

things that make me want to live are important poeple like my little brother, and my best friend
i always think about everyone else around me and how it might affect them
honestly to me suicide seems selfish. heres a quote i tak alot of liking too
-suicide, whats the worst thing that could happen?? i die??…. no the worst thing that can happen is you take someone with you when you die.

its true.
im a fourteen year old girl.
i hope i left a mark on you. xx in a good way. xx

November 11, 2010 at 10:40 am
(31) joe dirt says:

there have been many times I have only lived 4 others in my 27 years. Alot of people say depression is fleeting I tend to believe the opposite, that happiness is short lived. I also can’t see why everyone loves me so much but then again I’m not that bad a person. I have done alot of wrong in my life i know and I take it out on myself in many ways. Which I guess is why I’m on so many pills and see psychiatrists and the like. I guess the reason I live is pure curiosity, when is my life going to get better? I know life isn’t meant to be easy, but easier would be nice for a change…

December 30, 2010 at 8:02 pm
(32) cathy says:

I have lived with bipolar, (mostly depression), for 35 years. I am 50. I just found a medication that works, but it debilitates me to the point that I can barely dress, or cook, and never clean. I am on the antipsychotics, since the mood stabilizers, and antidepressants didn’t work. I read the antipsychotics block dopamine, and that controls motivation. I find my motivation to do anything is very low, and everything seems like a huge chose. I have been housebound for 6 years almost, and rarely do anything but go on the pc, and watch t.v. I am so frustrated, and down about it, (literally bored to tears), that I consider suicide. I am going for a consult soon, so that is keeping me partially going…the hope that I will be able to have a normal day, get some things done, and maybe be able to take a shower daily without bending over backwards to do it.
I also contracted breast cancer this year. My mamogram is clear for now, but I dont know how much longer until it comes back as Im sure it inevitably will since I smoke like a chimney sitting around the house all day & night. I voed that if it came back I would not go for treatment since Ive really had enough. Truly the only thing that keeps me daily on a good foundation of not trying to kill myself is the thought of my long distant boyfriend. He is the best boyfriend I ever had, and he lives in Oregon. I live in Canada. I would love to move there, and this is all completely feasible, (except for healthcare), if I just stick it out. I love him dearly, and I wouldn’t want to leave him.
I hope things change in my life. It has always been a struggle running away from this depression. Good times come, but they are short lived, and struggles seem endless. I wish there was a God, or at least some magic that could change things, or at least tell me how. I honestly wish there was some magic in the world. Love seems to be a force that seems to keep us here, no matter what/who we love it gives us a reason to stick around.

January 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm
(33) 000 says:

Ummm, I’m sure no one will ever read this, but I just wanted to say…Although I’ve never suffered from depression, I have thought about why I’m alive, and I felt like I’ve had no purpose before.

I’m still looking for a purpose, but I my love for writing is keeping me alive right now. Even if you don’t have children, I think everyone has something they like. If so, cling to it.

February 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm
(34) chessmaster says:

if you dont know any one go out and make new friends. join a group of somekind. get some pets. go to somesort of church. hang out at the bar. walk at the park. i really struggle sometimes because of my weight. i lost 102lbs. i try to make the best of it. i have even gotten some girls to go out with me. this life is amazing now. even if its not wat i want. im glad everyday that i choose life. well i try to be.

March 5, 2011 at 5:18 am
(35) Babiey says:

I BELIEVE THAT ONLY MY GOD HAS A RIGHT TO TAKE MY LIFE. MY FAMILY HATES ME BECAUSE EM A GIRL.
THEY DO NOT HATE MY SISTER BUT MY MOTHERS hates me!!!!

but em still alive
my mothr’s sister committed sucide
3 -4 months ago
but i wana live!!
i wana go to uk nd live there..
i wana get married to my love..
and have children.. although m just 14.. and i hav to study 10 yrs more..!! and bear my family members for more than 8 yrs

February 27, 2013 at 7:08 am
(36) Jacqui says:

Anthony #25
you took the words right out of my mouth. what is the point? why are you born to die? I cant make sense of it.

March 8, 2013 at 10:57 pm
(37) Regan says:

I’ve been dealing with mainly depression for at least 8 years, I’m 16 now. I’ve contemplated suicide so many times, especially lately. I have abandonment issues, which makes it hard to trust anyone around me. I’m really not sure how I’ve managed to still be alive, or why I’ve decided I’m not going to commit suicide. I think it’s because I don’t want to put anyone through what I’m feeling, but sometimes I feel like I’m just getting used by people because I can and do help everyone else. Maybe I just want to live to keep others alive, get rid of the world’s pain. I just wish that I could make everything better everywhere, even if I had to take on everyone else’s suffering.
I know nobody’s going to read this, or if they do, they won’t know me and I won’t know them, but I want you to know that you are beautiful and you deserve a happy future. You may have to carve the happy future out of all of the little moments where you lose yourself to the music, or when you see the rainbow in the rain, but find them and hold onto them. If you can’t do it for yourself anymore, find something to love and that loves you, and love it wholeheartedly.
Also, LET OTHERS KNOW! I’m still suffering without my families knowledge and meds, so I know it’s hard. It feels like I’ve failed them, but I’ve realized that if they don’t know, I’m making them fail me. I’ve managed to find friends to tell, and a therapist. I broke at the lowest I’ve ever been, and I’m really glad because I’ve realized it’s not breaking. It’s being strong enough to admit the problem to face it.
Please remember to love yourself, it’s the hardest, but most crucial part.