- Prodigy roleplaying chat (until Prodigy closed down)
- Designing web pages for roleplayer characters on Prodigy (impossible now)
- Gardening (still garden, still somewhat addictive about buying too many plants)
- Computer games - particularly those from RPG Maker 2000/2003
- Computer solitaire (recent, still happening but lessening due to Facebook, below)
- Crocheting (recent, still happening)
- Facebook Hatchlings and Word Hunt (just started, severe)
The Encyclopedia of Psychology says about addictive personalities: "To a greater or lesser extent, people engaged in addictive behavior tend to plan their lives around it; in extreme cases they will do almost anything to obtain the substance or engage in the behavior. The addiction makes them neglect other areas of their lives." This portion of their article almost describes me. I don't quite plan my life around Facebook or solitaire, but I can get drawn into such things way too easily.
Of course, drug, alcohol and gambling addictions and many eating disorders are all frequent symptoms of Addictive Personality Disorder, but I don't have any of those and never did. But I've realized how destructive being caught up in nonproductive activities is! (At least crocheting produces something.)
I'm wondering if this is a trait of bipolar disorder. So what about you? Do you see signs of activity addiction in yourself?