1. Health

Marcia Purse

Are Mel Gibson's Rants From Bipolar Disorder?

By July 13, 2010

Mel GibsonIn 2006 Mel Gibson made himself notorious with an anti-Semitic rant caught on tape, and now the website RadarOnline.com says his ex-girlfriend has released another explosive video that reportedly shows the actor as being abusive and threatening as well as using racial slurs.

Now people are referring to a 2008 report in the Sydney Morning Herald which quotes Gibson as saying in a documentary, "I recently found out I'm manic depressive."

From what I can discover, Gibson is now being placed on lists of people with bipolar disorder because of that single comment. I don't think there's enough evidence to do that. There's no public record of him discussing the subject before or since he made that statement. Certainly after the 2006 video became public he could have taken the opportunity to talk about a diagnosis of bipolar, and he didn't.

In the Bipolar Celebrities List on this site every effort has been made to distinguish between celebrities known to have bipolar and those who are rumored to have it. To me, that's the only responsible way to keep such a list.

Celebrities can and do embarrass themselves without being mentally ill. There's no question that Mel Gibson has shown himself in a very negative light in the past few years. Whether his outbursts were due to mental illness is a question that can't be answered at this time.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Learn more or join the conversation!
NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | FACEBOOK | TWITTER
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comments
July 14, 2010 at 1:12 pm
(1) jenna says:

What about treatment, Mel? Meds? Therapy? I’m not saying he isn’t bipolar, but after all he’s done lately, seems like a crutch to me, which pisses me off as someone who IS bipolar, been fighting it most of my life. Yes, I’ve done stupid stuff in my life. Who hasn’t? But there is no excuse, not even with bipolar. It’s no joke, Mel. Own up to your stupidity and be a man.

July 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm
(2) Jolene Torgler says:

His life style of alcoholism is what he “has”… will cause all types of rants and raves and fits of anger, and kills the brain cells. No wonder he’s delusional!!!

July 14, 2010 at 7:48 pm
(3) Jeannie says:

As someone who has a number of bipolar members in their family you get pretty good at figuring things like this out. No doubt in my mind the man is bipolar. The tragedy here is that the two greatest stressors for bipolars to commit suicide is the loss of a job or the loss of a loved one. His life is in danger and apparently he has a gun. People can laugh at his rants but the rage is bipolar disorder unmedicated. Period end of story. Those that care for him need to get him in a hospital and on a mood stablizer.

July 15, 2010 at 12:46 am
(4) jackie says:

Jeannie…..I completely agree

July 15, 2010 at 2:33 am
(5) Infin says:

Speaking from experience, things like alcohol abuse are considered symptoms of bipolar. This in regards to Jolene’s comment.

July 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm
(6) anonymous says:

It is my understanding that people with bipolar disorder(if that is what he really has) do things that are out of character.Whoopi Goldberg believed from her experience that he wasn’t a racist.It is hard for the general public to know where personality ends and a mood disorder + drug abuse begins.

It seems like people view hypomania/mania much like they view some one under the influence of alcohol.If a person says something out of character they believe that the racist/sexist behavior was there all along.I am not sure if that perception is true or not?

July 20, 2010 at 6:20 pm
(7) Adam says:

It’s his business rants and all.I experience different types of mania,mix in loss of family stuation which was his stability and a new lover with new child could certainly trigger a mixed state and bipo;ar rage which is usually harmless.He sounds like he was provoked .he obviously feels his emotions and ties them to a sense of security mix that with a sudden fall off the wagon you say some things you might not mean to say.Imagine that ?yeah the mans bipolar and he’s also human .

July 26, 2010 at 2:46 am
(8) Hilary Smith says:

I totally agree with you, Marcia. Maybe he has bipolar, maybe he doesn’t, but either way that’s for a psychiatrist to diagnose, not the tabloids. Also….you can’t diagnose someone with bipolar based on a ten-minute interaction. It involves observing someone over a period of weeks or months and watching the patterns.

August 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm
(9) Catherine Perry says:

Because there are such widly differing accounts of his character – from Whoopi Goldberg’s sense of him, to Oksana’s view of him, I believe he could be bipolar. While it’s no excuse; he’s responsible to take his medication, I would feel much more comforted to know that he is mentally ill, than he is just a terrible person. We may not have those thoughts, but we all have terrible thoughts from time to time. I think he’s a product of his father’s upbringing and his mental illness. I want him to get help, and I am boycotting his movies until he does, but I do think he has mental illness.

August 1, 2010 at 3:29 pm
(10) Catherine Perry says:

Oh, and P.S. It’s not unusual for people with mental illness to try to self-medicate with alcohol. Yes he is an alcoholic but he might also very well be bi-polar; Doesn’t excuse his behaviour, but I find it would help my morale to know that maybe he has less self control than the average person.

June 26, 2012 at 2:09 am
(11) Summarizing Your pool in Farmingville says:

Nice blog here! Additionally your web site a lot up fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I get your associate hyperlink for your host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol