1. Health

Marcia Purse

Mary Key Letourneau - Child Rape or Love Affair?

By March 26, 2012

Mary Kay LetourneauMary Kay Letourneau was 35 when she began an affair with one of her school students, 13 year old Vili Fualaau. The case highlighted Mary Kay's bipolar disorder, child rape laws and sentencing, and emerged over the years as one of the most bizarre "love stories" of the last two decades. Although the furor had mostly died down, the recent airings of the film "All-American Girl" on cable have brought Mary Kay's story to the attention of a new generation.

Here is the true story, from the beginning, of Mary Kay Letourneau's involvement with Vili Fualaau, with links to my commentary on the case and other material. Was her bipolar disorder to blame, or was she?

Mary Kay Letourneau: Criminal, Or Victim of Bipolar Disorder?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Learn more or join the conversation!
NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | FACEBOOK | TWITTER
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comments
March 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm
(1) John Holden says:

Criminal. Bipolar or not sex with a 13 year old is a crime. I have Bipolar disorder and although I battle with misdiagnosis varying drug therapies and the destruction of most of the important relationships of my life I do not break the law and use bipolar as an excuse.

I am in pain for MJ Latourneau but if I as a 47 year old man had sex with an underage girl no one would say its okay and say he had bipolar. I feel for her I really do but its an insult to say otherwise.

March 27, 2012 at 11:31 am
(2) Laney says:

Unless one is in a totally psychotic state, I do not think that bipolar should be used to excuse criminal behavior. Psychosis is another area all together. My theory, based on my husbands illness is that bipolar is just an amplification of ones personality, weather it be when one is manic or depressive. I think if one has a good or even a fair moral compass, then criminal behavior does not happen. In this particular case, I think this women had questionable morals and sadly bipolar to go along with it. Might she not have done it if she was not bipolar?? Maybe. We will never know. But most important is that I donít want those with bipolar disorder to get a stigma that they all have criminal tendencies. It is so far from the truth. Think about when you or your loved one has a episode, isnít it just an amplification of the personality.

March 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm
(3) Papamoag says:

Letourneau is a felonious child-rapist that damaged the young boy she violated as well as all six of her children through her lack of control. If she were a man, whether the victim were a boy or a girl, no one would question his guilt. Bipolarity is no defense. I am bipolar and I don’t consider it a license to violate other people, especially children. The fact that this is up for discussion, or that anyone is irresponsible to say that this crime was a “symptom” is indicative of the deep gender bias in our society. And if she had been a man of color, instead of a petite soft-spoken blonde woman, the child molester/impregnator would have never left prison alive.

March 27, 2012 at 11:43 pm
(4) Kathleen says:

None of the articles ever did say, does she have bipolar 1 or 2? I don’t think it should make any difference, but does anyone else out there? I also have bipolar disorder-Atypical bipolar 2 because I have symptoms of both-so I jokingly say I have bipolar 1.5. Anyway, I also do NOT think having bipolar is an excuse in any way, and YES she IS a child rapist. To think she met him as his 2nd grade teacher and had the desire to do this, and then DID do it proves it to me. Remember, being bipolar doesn’t determine what sexual desire you have! Having hypersexuality at times, yes. But making you sexually attracted to children?! NO WAY! I am sure this lady would have done this if she didn’t have bipolar. Look, she had a responsibility to take her meds and if she didn’t like the side effects, she still has a responsibility to talk to her doctor asap and ask for a med change! I’m not asking any more of her than I have to do myself. Plus, what about her responsibility to talk to her doctor about feeling sexually attracted to children, and asking the doc to help her get tx instead of acting on it?

March 28, 2012 at 2:05 am
(5) Suzy says:

It seems so long ago when this happened, but I remember the story very well. When Mary Kay committed this crime statuatory rape of 13yo, I thought
she must have been a very sick (and I don’t mean in the manner of bipolar) woman to have compromised her marriage, her children, her job, and her reputation. I still believe, to this day, that what Mary Kay did was wrong…

However, decades later, the young 13yo is now an adult and able to make decisions on his own. In the after-math of this crime, Mary Kay and Vili are still together.. What does that say about them? Is it not really love, even though they are adults now? They have children together, as well..

Regarding Mary Kay’s bipolar dignosis, I don’t think it’s right to blame a mental health diagnosis as an excuse for something wrong that person may have done. I saw her in court, she didn’t appear to be psychotic, but then again, I wasn’t inside her mind, so what do I know?

I hope this comment doesn’t sound like I am happy for their marriage and the children they had together. Because of her poor judgement, Mary Kay may have ruined the lives of so many other people, namely her family and other children!! I honestly didn’t think they would still be together as a couple, after Vili grew up, b/c he was so young back then…

March 29, 2012 at 3:06 am
(6) ajudgement says:

This thing about mary kay has once again been brought to the fore like a trashy tabloid aimed to get attention and readers. There is no dignity to pigeon hole bipolars and pedophiles together. This does just that while under the guise of a question whether it was the bipolar or was it criminal. This bipolar site should be ashamed bringing in trash that denigrates us further on the condition of which we inherited. This disgusts me and shames me even more for having bipolar. Guess what in all my years I never had the desire to have sex with children. Wow I must not be bipolar after all. WTF people. pull your heads out of your asses

April 15, 2012 at 5:41 am
(7) Bogdan says:

Should not be a criminal attityde as boys at 13 are very advanced now days and they need some one to guide them spiritual and sexual …
Are millions which practice onanismus for years and end with impotence ….

May 6, 2012 at 8:59 am
(8) Ted says:

Bogdan you are a goddamned retard. If I said girls at 13 are very advanced now days and they need a mature man to guide them spiritually and sexually? Now sit down and shut up!