1. Health

Marcia Purse

What You HATE to Do During Depression

By December 17, 2012

It's amazing how many of us hate doing the same things when depression strikes. When I asked a group of readers what jobs were the hardest tasks they had to do during a depressive episode, one of the top replies was taking care of personal hygiene.

Depressed in the bathtub

A lot of other similar tasks got a thumbs down by the readers. Think you're the only one who finds specific things tough to do during a depressive episode? Read this article and find out how common those problem jobs are.

I'm Depressed and I Just Can't DO This
Learn more or join the conversation!
NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | FACEBOOK | TWITTER
Comments
December 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm
(1) Suzy says:

The two hardest things for me to do when I’m depressed, is showering, and having to keep up with my hairy legs and brows…

December 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm
(2) juli says:

I so agree, during a depressive episode the last thing i want to do is bathe, wash hair, shave legs or exercise. I hate doing dishes or take care of anything.

December 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm
(3) Rider3 says:

First, it was simply getting out of bed. If I could do that, that was a big deal. However, if I actually took a shower, that was a shocker. Some days I’m still like that, but the battle will always continue. Peace, everyone.

December 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(4) Lin says:

To Suzi and juli . I can relate to both of your comments

December 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm
(5) Wendy says:

I so identify all of you! Showering or bathing is such a big burden to even thing about. It seems like a heavy weight to even ponder about hygiene! My husband doesn’t want to bring it up to me, its an uncomfortable topic for him to broach with me. It took me forever to explain to him about how its just overwhelming to do anything, event as something as simple as washing my face! I break down and just use alcohol to clean the important part areas of my body. Then I go right back to bed or on the couch for the rest of the day. The next thing I know, 3 days have gone by. I am so glad I am not the only one who does this.

December 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm
(6) Mary says:

Same here, personal hygiene goes out the window…along with most other things during depression for me. When I think about it it makes perfect sense. If you feel so despondent that life seems to be over, what’s the point, there’s nothing for me, etc, etc-then why the heck would you see any importance in showering? Or doing the dishes? Or vacuuming? Anything??? “I’m worthless” hardly drags up feelings of “…but I want my carpets clean.” ?

December 19, 2012 at 2:55 am
(7) watergirl says:

I can certainly relate to all the comments but am puzzled by the most difficult for me: staying medicine compliant. My brain gets so twisted, I don’t remember if I’ve taken my meds, and more importantly–I don’t care. I do keep my meds in a weekly organizer which helps, but once those pill boxes become empty it takes a force of Nature to motivate me to refill them. Next to this is personal hygiene…especially in the winter months…I rarely get into the shower.

December 19, 2012 at 9:42 am
(8) Joy says:

Everything goes downhill when I’m in a depressive state. I ignore all housework (vacuuming, doing dishes, doing laundry). hygiene (changing clothing, brushing teeth, showering, or even just washing my hair). I’m anti-social and prefer staying home and napping a lot.

December 19, 2012 at 9:46 am
(9) Joy says:

When I’m in a depressive state of mind I ignore everything….all aspects of hygiene, housework, and socializing. I nap a lot. I can’t enjoy my favorite hobbies. My head is in a fog as well.

December 19, 2012 at 1:36 pm
(10) R says:

Hey , were are all the “guy” comments>
i was diagnosed bi-polar but go to the gym every morning for
a couple hours, depressed or not. Hitting the gym then the showers
snaps you out of the depression, at least for a couple hours.

December 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm
(11) sue cunningham says:

On getting out of bed:: Set your radio to go off at the time U want to get up. This helps.

Shower? If U don’t feel like doing the shower, just do a POSSIBLE BATH. I hope U know what that is :) .

Praise yourself out loud if you do somethhing that was hard to do.

Playing classical music all the time if U don’t like TV or radio..it seems to help sometimes. Have a “reward”‘ day when U eat favoritie foods.

December 20, 2012 at 5:15 am
(12) teresa says:

all these sound so much like me. I didn’t realize that not wanting to bathe or shower was such a big part of it, It always seems like so much work, i thought it was just me. Getting dressed is a problem too. I don’t have to go anywhere so i only leave the house once a week maybe.

December 22, 2012 at 1:03 am
(13) Tia says:

I can’t do anything. It’s like I’m stuck. I think my parents think I’m lazy. Mom tells me to try, and I do, but what she thinks is trying and what I think is trying is too different things. I don’t work right now and she said she was going to start leaving me a list of things to do around the house everyday.
On several occasions when I’ve gotten myself together enough to go downstairs and watch tv with dad he goes, “You stink.” Sometimes I care and go change sometimes I don’t. Him saying that still isn’t enough motivation to shower and sometimes I don’t have anything clean to put on. My mom told him not to tell me when I stink, but she says stuff about other things to me.
My uncle is dying, which isn’t helping the depression, and today I got myself together enough to go see him. No shower, but clean clothes. Mom didn’t want me to go because I haven’t been able to get to the hair salon in several months to get a relaxer and I haven’t moisturized my hair in a few days so it’s a little dry and wispy. Mom didn’t want her sister to see me like that. Keeping up appearances.
I just lay in bed all day, eat something quick and easy to take my pills and go back to bed.

December 23, 2012 at 4:13 am
(14) kathy says:

I am so glad I saw this today, and actually read email., I too thought it was just me that didnt want to…or feel I cant…take a bath…my roommate has told me before I smell, but that still doesnt make me want to take a bath ot wash my hair, sometimes I do the semi bath..use sink, and put on fresh clothes if going out for something, which is often, I so can relate to the person that said she hurries to eat a bite, I will eat a half sandwich just to take meds or simply because my stomach is starving, and then go right bk to bed.

January 1, 2013 at 4:17 am
(15) Paul says:

Don’t seem to be many males here,so let this Englishman endorse what others have been saying-just the prospect of what should be a reviving&refreshing&enjoyable bath seems like climbing Everest! Just had a non-Christmas hiding from world,it’s January 1st so let me wish better for all of us this New Year! There are MANY of us out here!!

January 3, 2013 at 12:16 am
(16) Katherine says:

Please visit my blog I have been writing about raising my bipolar daughter:

Thank you.

January 3, 2013 at 11:01 am
(17) chery says:

You know as time goes on it seems to get worse for me. I used to never go out without makeup, etc. Now even when I’m not too depressed to get out of bed, I don’t really care so much. I rarely take time to put it on. I will wear the same clothes several times rather than do laundry. I only shower a couple times a week. For some reason I just don’t seem to care too much anymore. I know its a bad habit I’ve gotten into and actually do feel better after I’ve showered but, for some reason unless its a special occasion or something I just don’t bother. Does anyone else have that problem? Just wondereing…

January 16, 2013 at 6:49 pm
(18) Donii says:

OMgosh! During my depressed weeks, I will be lined beneath my sheets. Unable to communicate w/the world. Bathing, showering, brushing teeth, shaving, is non-existent during this phase. I remember one episode, my boyfriend at the time literally picked me up as if I was a sack of potatoes, and emerged me into the bath tub!

He literally bathe me, washed my hair, and, brushed my teeth!! I felt overwhelmed to do any of this. Yet, I had someone who cared deeply enough to care, one who witness my despair, and just couldn’t take it anymore!! I literally loathed this depressed phases of Bipolar…