1. Health

Marcia Purse

Is Paranoia Part of Bipolar Disorder?

By February 18, 2013

ParanoiaA community member said she always thinks people are talking about her and laughing at her. She believes people are scheming against her. "They're out to get me!" Is this, she asked, part of having bipolar? Do others experience the same thing?

Yes, paranoia can be a symptom of bipolar disorder, either during mania (but not hypomania) or during depression. The experience is called having paranoid delusions. Here's a great deal of information about paranoid delusions:

What Is Paranoia?

Learn more or join the conversation!
NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | FACEBOOK | TWITTER
Comments
March 17, 2009 at 9:07 am
(1) tom says:

Before I was diagnosed with BPD, my friends and family told me that I was extremely paranoid, and I was.
I hated parties, large crowds, the mall, because it felt that everyone was staring or talking about me.
Through therapy and medications, this has subsided. I still have my days, but I least now I have the tools to deal with it.

March 17, 2009 at 10:14 am
(2) LACME1965 says:

I feel exactly the same way. I very often worry about what people think about me- that they are laughing about me or whispering about me behind my back. Even that they make facial gestures to each other with some kind of inside joke about me.

It even happens when I’m with a group of good friends. I feel fine when I first get there, but as the evening/day goes on, I start to feel like I’m on the outside looking in, like I don’t belong, or fit in- and I just want to disappear. I end up slowly moving away from the group, thinking that they will not even notice I am gone. I usually get to a breaking point where I just need to leave- almost a panic attack sort of thing.

I do have BPD- and I’ve talked to both my Pdoc and my Tdoc about it.

April 29, 2009 at 4:46 pm
(3) Mikel says:

Maybe they really are talking about you. I have inside jokes about people all the time and nicknames for them that they have no idea we’re talking about them. Just because your parnoid doesn’t mean theres no one out to get you. People are mean.

May 27, 2009 at 6:23 pm
(4) Jane says:

Mikel, you might be right. However, people who don’t have paranoia don’t experience the same feelings LACME1965 has. In fact, mentally healthy people are not really bothered by the fact that smb is making fun of them behind their backs or making inside jokes about them. I had the same kinda problem LACME1965 described, and after taking antiphychotics, these feelings went away and I started feeling like I could finally fit in. And all of a sudden, people stopped talking about me.

September 27, 2010 at 1:49 pm
(5) hannah says:

tell me about it!by fieance is always acusing me of cheating he suffers from bipolar disorder

February 20, 2013 at 2:45 am
(6) Naomi says:

I have had those exact feelings, since kindergarten I can recall experiencing what each of you have too. I was diagnosed at 15, I fear my son may be touched too. I’m trying to teach him early how to recognize his feelings and figure out if there justified or if it’s a moment. I’m finding more natural ways to balance it too, I’m embarking on a first time all out admittance of what goes on in my head, I’m going go journal it and hope to help future polar bears help themselves more. I’m hoping to help others understand too. Please feel free to email me for someone to talk to, be a bear or a lover of one. I’m here to help, never to judge!

February 21, 2013 at 4:00 pm
(7) Cherylpepper says:

My dear take a deep breath and take a deep long belly laugh. Yes a laugh because I’m going to tell you what a really good friend once told me. ” your just not that important”. That put things in perpective for me. The truth is I’ve been bipolar most of my life. There are times I feel people are talking about me. I can go into Target and talk myself into the delusion that the two women in kitchenwares are talking about me. Then it become they are talking about me because I’m so fat or I’ve got on too much makeup or I don’t have any makeup on at all. There are talking about me because my face is broken out yet again. They think I’m a meth addict. I have lots of teeth missing or the list grows and grows until it gets totally out of control. Maybe my meds are out of whack. Here is reality. I’m just not that important. Sometimes I wear makeup sometimes I don’t. Sometimes my sensitive skin is broken out and I just don’t put it on. I am 58 years old and I’ve lost some teeth. I have a upper plate. I hate to wear it because I grind my teeth. Sometimes I forget to put it in.
Here is the reality.Paranoia just goes with bipolar. Sometimes there is an OCD componet to it. Think Monk or Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory. Remember bipolor is a physical condition. Knowledge is power. Learn all you can. Accept yourself as you are. All of us with Bipolar have our ” special Bipolar moment”

A wise and wonderful doctor once told me that those of us with Neuro behavioral diseases should listen to and embrace that wonderful Eagles song. The chorus says.” Take it easy take it easy. Don’t let the sounds of your own wheels make you crazy”.Then there was also another phrase he liked to use. “Sherwin Williams covers the earth”. This is a wonderful example of what a run away brain can do when it starts firing and you feel helpless to stop it. Learn all you can. Because its your disease, it goes with where you go. Its a part of our life and sometimes it flares up for no reason.