- Call the Social Security Administration – 1-800-772-1213
- Apply online – Apply for Disability
- Contact your local Social Security Office – Social Security Office Locator
NOTE: Many of Social Security’s forms have “yes” or “no” check boxes. However, the answers are often much more complicated than yes or no. Consider a simple question: “Can you work?  Yes  No” What if the answer is “Sometimes,” “on my good days,” or “not when my pain flares up and I have to lie down?” Abbott recommends applying by telephone. Ask them to send you the forms, and take plenty of time to answer each question completely.
Understanding Disability Benefits – The Series
- I Can’t Hold a Job! What Do I Do? – Introduction
- What is Disability?
- Do I Qualify for Disability?
- Is Bipolar Disorder a Qualified Condition for Disability?
- How Do I Start My Disability Application?
- What Information and Paperwork Do I Need?
- What Happens with My Application?
- How Long Will It Take to Get Benefits?
- What Benefits Will I Get?
- Who Can Help Me?