Antidepressants - also sometimes spelled as anti-depressants and anti depressants - are medications that are designed to lesson depression or help depression go away entirely. There are many types of antidepressants available. Each type or class has its own method of helping depression. Within the classes, each drug is slightly different. There are side effects and warnings common to each class of antidepressants, and many of the individual drugs have additional side effects or warnings as well.
The classes of antidepressants include:
- SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) which include Prozac, Paxil and others.
- SNRIs (serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) which include Cymbalta, Effexor and nefazodone.
- Tricyclics, including Elavil, Norpramin and others.
- MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors), including Nardil, Parnate and others.
- Atypical antidepressants, including trazodone, mirtazapine and Wellbutrin.