1. Health

Marcia Purse

Yvonne: Manic Depressive

By August 9, 2005

Yvonne, known as Myself43 in our online community, designed this humorous piece of clipart contrasting her manic and depressive episodes associated with having bipolar disorder.

Yvonne
Comments
February 22, 2009 at 5:02 am
(1) Yvonne says:

Hi Yvonne, funny sounds just like me – i’m 43 and an yvonne too!!

May 12, 2009 at 5:44 am
(2) julez says:

Hey Yvonne,
That’s fantastic! That would also be a great way to let family members in on a way to know your signs of your swings. Some of them just need a visual, cause they just don’t get it. That really was great!!

May 12, 2009 at 7:00 am
(3) burrlady says:

oh yeah – that’s me. i’m organising our annual art exhibition, starting a writers group and starting up a bellydancing class. meanwhile i get the ideas when i’m “up” manic and have to carry them out when i’m “down” manic. life is chaotic enough but i’m also doing a meds changeover after 5 years. ain’t life grand lol

May 12, 2009 at 10:31 am
(4) Margaret says:

Funny, chuckle, TRUE!!!

May 13, 2009 at 4:39 am
(5) Linda says:

I’m tired and I can’t sleep.
I’m wired and I have no energy.
I’m hungry and I can’t eat.
I itch and I can’t scratch.
I’m hot and no matter how cool I make the house, it’s not cool enough and I’m hot at the same time.

Does this describe manic depressive? I have more but it’s just more of the same. And I’m much better now that I’m on meds. At least now I’m not spending the mortgage payment on purses and shoes. Have a nice day.

May 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm
(6) trisha says:

I just wish I could copy and paste….the visual is helpful….thanks…I get so damned tired of explaining myself…does anyone else?

July 14, 2009 at 6:51 am
(7) ellieme says:

so me…had a manic episode a week ago and i can feel my mood drasticly dropping…pow

July 28, 2009 at 9:44 pm
(8) Carol says:

I do have it since i was born. I am 30 this year from Singapore.

August 19, 2009 at 11:12 am
(9) Karen says:

This image is so perfect. Nice to see a picture that shows I’m not alone in some of the things I struggle with when I’m in different phases.

January 10, 2010 at 12:26 pm
(10) Jan Prowse says:

Dear Yvonne,

I am wondering if I could use your pitcure for an assignment for a course I am taking called Child & Youth Mental Health. I would really appreciate your permission to use it.

Thanks so much for your time and attention to this matter.

Sincerely Jan Prowse

February 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm
(11) s says:

I can not believe anyone would think this is funny. I am so misserable because I love someone with bipolar, how will my kids ever get over this?

February 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm
(12) dave says:

found this on a facebook page.
The Bipolar experience is no more than this: A heroic soul born inhumanely sensitive, desperately in need of true connection. To you, a touch is a blow, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a daydream is a premonition, strictness is suffocation and completion is death. Add to your brutally sensitive soul the overwhelming need to heal, create, and transform–so that without the outpouring of honesty, the creating of music or poetry or something of meaning your very breath is cut off. You must create, must pour out your entire being in each and every encounter. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency you do not feel truly alive unless you are risking everything through your divine expression. —insatiably searching.

April 1, 2010 at 8:00 am
(13) Amy says:

Wow dave thanks for posting that. It really hit home. I put it on my bipolar blog, credited you for it, and posted the url here.

April 8, 2010 at 8:48 pm
(14) tattaes says:

S…
I don’t think any of us who suffer from bipolar disorder think it’s “funny”, but if we don’t find things to laugh about ourselves, we’ll just end up crying all the time.
I don’t envy anyone who is in a relationship with someone who is bipolar. I have four children. I constantly worry about passing this on to them. I am constantly apologetic to those who have to put up with me. I am constantly monitoring myself and my actions and moods.
I don’t laugh this off because I don’t take it seriously… I laugh it off because, otherwise, I would wallow in the hopelessness of it all. Yes, meds help, but there will always be glitches… times of struggle… med tweaks needed. There is no “getting over it”… there is only dealing with it in a way that is healthy to everyone.
You have to do what’s best for your children first.

June 17, 2010 at 12:30 am
(15) shea says:

Is anyone else a rapid cycling bipolar? I find it very difficult to stay on my meds. I finally quit taking them cause they put me in a fog and i couldn’t function. None of the meds the doctor gave me helped. I am probably the hardest person to be around because I end-up going thru 4 or 5 moods a day ranging from i can conquer the world to why am I still alive. Thanks