1. Health

Marcia Purse

Physical Conditions Can Mimic Bipolar Disorder

By July 31, 2006

Kim, parent to a daughter thought to have bipolar disorder recently wrote us regarding her daughter's diagnosis. Two years ago Kim's daughter was diagnosed with ultra rapid cycling bipolar disorder. Over the two years her daughter had been prescribed a number of medications none of which helped alleviated her symptoms. As it turns out, the medications were not helping because the diagnosis was completely wrong.

"We just found out through the Western Blot blood test that our daughter has been suffering with a severe neurological infection of Lyme disease. She is now on a heavy dose of antibiotics and there is a possibility that the numerous other body symptoms with which she also has suffered may reverse over time."

One of the difficulties in arriving at a diagnosis of bipolar disorder is that there are a number of physical conditions that can mimic the presentation of or have similar symptoms to bipolar disorder of which Lyme disease is one. Diagnosing Bipolar Disorder: Ruling Out Other Physical Conditions

Comments
August 4, 2006 at 4:50 am
(1) Fred says:

Yes, Lyme disease can sure be the culprit. although I am bipolar, meds did not seem to work. My physical symptoms increased. My doc sent me for a Lyme disease test and it came out to be positive. I was on antibiotics for two years, six months on intravenous antibiotics until my systems disappeared. I may have had one flare up since then.

September 6, 2006 at 8:51 pm
(2) Dave Moyer says:

Glad to see that the Lyme and bipolar connection is discussed here. A few years ago that would not have happened. I suspect as our understanding increases that the term “bipolar disorder” will become increasingly outdated as the physical underpinnings of CNS disorders are discovered, whether it be infections like Lyme, Bartonella or C. Pneomonia, or digestive problems secondary to Candida or other absorptons issues or a multitude of causes yet to be identified.

April 28, 2008 at 6:31 pm
(3) gail bowyer says:

My daughter is being treated for bipolar disorder at UCLA medical center. AS she is 29 years old, I am not allowed to obtain any info from the staff ie: doctors or nurses. My daughter did have a bulls eye like thing on her leg when she was aroung 10. At that time I didn’t know about lyme disease. She also began having problems with aches and pains, and by 7th grade had began hyper like activity. I just called and left a message for the doctor to please test her for lyme disease. Is there anything else I can do to convince the dr. to test her? She is very paranoid and takes her anger out on me. Thanks to anyone for help. Gail

July 21, 2008 at 4:16 pm
(4) courtney says:

hi Gail:o)
I am very sorry to hear about your daughter. I have Lymes. It is difficult to get Lymes to come up on a test. I consider myself lucky that mine did (after 5 years). Look into ILADS. And don’t give up, I know I don’t mean to be who I am sometimes, mean, crazy, yelling. Lymes really screws with your mind. Please stand strong. There is new book, “The Cure Unknown”, by Pamela Weintraul(maybe spelled wrong). Maybe this can help:)

September 15, 2008 at 12:29 am
(5) Janie H says:

I am 18 years old, and during the end of summer, after no previous symptoms, i suffered what all of the doctors thought was a bipolar hypo manic episode. I was traumatised after being put into “medical centers”. Noone thought my diagnosis fit me, my aunt said to get tested for lyme disease and low and behold it cme up postive! i never thought id be happy to hear that i have lymes but i hope everything can be reversed and that i can eventually live a life without medication

November 2, 2008 at 9:59 pm
(6) miorpeace says:

Tornadoes annually carry away lives of hundreds people!
However inhabitants of unsafe areas will not learn in any way to simple safety rules!
I have lost so the best friend :( ((
Be vigilant!
tornado safety

November 20, 2008 at 2:05 pm
(7) DDDepressionnn says:

There has come winter :(
It became cold and cloudy!
Mood very bad :(
Depression Begins

November 20, 2008 at 9:56 pm
(8) DDDDepressionnnn says:

Depression Depression Depression aaaaaaaa
HEEEEELP :( :( :(
I hate winter! I want summer!

November 29, 2008 at 11:02 am
(9) wintervssummer says:

I very much love summer :)
Someone very much loves winter :(
I Wish to know whom more :)
For what you love winter?
For what you love summer? Let’s argue :)