1. Health

Marcia Purse

Reader Says Bipolar Is a Myth

By April 8, 2014

Nearly two years ago, now, a reader named Beidoj left this comment on the blog What Is Dysphoric Mania?. A lot of you replied to this blog already, but enough time has passed that I think it's worthwhile to give newer readers - or those who missed this at the time - a chance to react. Beidoj said:
Bipolar is a myth! Every symptom of Bipolar is a natural human trait which has simply been blown out of proportion to what society believes is normal. Every human being has the potential to be labelled with Bipolar and many are being labelled with it just because they don't conform to the "norm."
Manic satyr in mythologyMental illness is more often than not caused by trauma (both physical and mental) or actual brain damage. Bipolar is not a mental illness, it is a label given to people who find it hard to cope with themselves, need attention and are who want to be cared for and controlled by medication. People are just individuals trying to belong in a sociological system controlled by conformist who want us all not to buck their system.

I suffered many years of being diagnosed with everything from schizophrenia to personality disorders to bipolar. I was treated like a sub-human until I broke away from being analysed.

The point I am trying to make here is that some people just want to be individuals and find it hard to cement their worth on this planet. Some of them unfortunately chose to do it by destroying other peoples lives. This guy [James Holmes, who killed and injured a total of 70 people at a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises"] just wanted to leave his mark on the world, and what a way to do it! Look at all the interest being invested in him. The insanity defence is a crock - he knew exactly what he was doing!

By the way, bipolar people, stop crying out for attention, don't you know that mood stabilisers will destroy your soul? The funny thing about them is they will make anyone's mood stable, bipolar or not! And the side effects are so damaging to you physically - check your thyroid function, liver function, the majority of you will have issues if you don't already ... stop poisoning yourselves. Learn to live with yourselves they way you are or you could end up having your own psychotic episode and taking it out on innocent people too. I DO NOT CONDONE THIS MAN'S ACTIONS, ALTHOUGH I UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DO WHAT THEY DO!

So there it is - the kind of thinking that promotes the stigma we deal with. I know most of you were angry before you even finished reading Beidoj's diatribe. Mental illness a myth? Considering that records of bipolar disorder go back to the time of mythology - between 100 and 200 A.D. - that there is clear evidence that it can be inherited, and that it responds to treatment - plus a number of other factors, I think we can discard the "myth" idea.

I don't even have to present a counter to the idea that we're all craving attention. The best attention I've ever gotten was when I was stable to slightly hypomanic and able to act on stage ... something I can't do when I'm depressed, because I don't have the confidence even to audition. How can anyone think I'd rather have attention by being sunk in depression than by getting applause?

I'm sick to death of having people with bipolar disorder being told it's all in your head. Do you pretend to be psychotic to get attention? Do you enjoy bankrupting yourself by spending recklessly? Does losing your job because you can't focus, can't get out of bed, crumble under pressure, make you feel better because of the attention it gets you?

No. No. No.

Photo: GuilaneNachez / Morguefile

Learn more or join the conversation!
NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | FACEBOOK | TWITTER
Comments
November 1, 2012 at 4:12 pm
(1) Becky says:

I was told in the last 2 hours that I

“JUST NEED TO BE STRONG”

If only people who don’t have Bipolar knew what we go through inside.

November 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm
(2) Chad Moore says:

Wow. Totally agree with you Marcia, and so do many of my friends and family. Bipolar has cost me many things, and they are things I would love to have back. My support team was relieved when I was diagnosed and entered treatment.

While anyone can “claim” they have any number of things, this does not mean the people who truly suffer from disabilities don’t have them.

November 2, 2012 at 9:14 am
(3) Shana R says:

Anyone who has been diagnosed with that many mental illnesses has obviously had, and likely still has, a problem. It is unfortunate that this person gave up on treatment.

It is hard for people with mental illness to understand that they truly have a physical issue with how their brains work. They are not helped by the contradictions presented to them by many doctors, therapists, and even psychiatrists. I personally encountered, when trying to seek help for myself and my children, mental health professionals who wanted to make everything about “working hard” in therapy and “adjusting family dynamics” when what at least two of us needed was appropriate medicine.

This type of contradiction makes it harder for people who already have malfunctioning brains to advocate properly for themselves or their family members. Then, feeling discouraged by having medicines that are indeed dangerous thrust upon them with less consideration than is given to the therapy that they should be “fixed” with, these people come to these false realizations that mentally ill people have personality flaws and just need to “get it together”.

November 2, 2012 at 7:56 pm
(4) kat says:

we all are disbelive when we first get the news. I AM new at having bipolar1 and it is not something i thought i would do because i AM bord no it is like living in your own nightmare.

November 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm
(5) lorenabeth says:

November 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm
(6) lorenabeth says:

YOU, apparently are NOT Bipolar and have absolutely no idea what someone who is Bipolar goes through and how difficult it is just to function on a daily basis!!! I think it is very sad that you have nothing better to do than get on a web sight that is meant to help its members with Bipolar and tell us that we are all making up are symptoms for attention!!! I can’t speak for anyone else, but Iwould much rather live without Bipolar than with it!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!!

November 3, 2012 at 1:41 pm
(7) marcy says:

I am tired too of the criticism towards mental disorders. Bipolar disorder is real and like other people I cant talk about it. its is a social stigma.

November 4, 2012 at 1:10 am
(8) Jaded says:

Beidoj, you are truly not a genuis or a Dr. You are an idiot. That’s all I can say about you. What I have is passed down the generations PROVEN in my family, you jackwagon. And my brother was misdiagnosed and as a result in not getting the help he needed DIED. Asshat. God, people like you piss me off, because you HAVE NO GD IDEA what we go through. Screw you.

November 6, 2012 at 10:39 am
(9) Austin Shelton says:

This is idiotic. My bipolar is not simply a weakness or a myth. I work very hard with psychoanalysis twice a week and state of the art drugs to keep my disorder under control and even these measure are only partially effective. Before my diagnosis and treatment I was crazy and deluded. My experiences were no “myth” but very real.

November 6, 2012 at 11:11 am
(10) flippityjib says:

Obviously this person is not bipolar, but an attention seeking individual who went to doctors for medications and therapy, when in fact they were just having a hard time. People do get diagnosed wrong and that’s what it sounds like here with this person.
I cannot control the images and sounds I see and hear. I don’t tell anyone about them other than my husband because it sounds so wacky and it’s nobody’s business but mine. So is that attention seeking? Am I faking this? I wish it would not happen. I wish my mood swings and other symptoms were not part of my life. I’m BP 1, rapid cycling, psychotic features. It’s a private thing for me to deal with, so someone who messed around in the past with doctors and drugs and then decided it didn’t do anything for them, and it must be a hoax? For everyone? The writer is the only one being fake.

November 6, 2012 at 11:31 am
(11) TOM says:

Well, here we go again. The opinion of somebody who claims they got over a variety of mental health issues with pure will power. With all the research out in the medical field, the studies by a variety of universities using MRI’s, cat scans, etc. that show brains with a chemical dysfunction react and think differently than “normal” ones….you my friend are deluded.
Remind me not to enter a movie theater with you!

November 6, 2012 at 11:37 am
(12) Laura says:

The irony is that we give people like this a platform of any kind. My response is obvious.

November 6, 2012 at 11:41 am
(13) Gary Bebout says:

After two severe psyhotic breaks (the second because I stopped talking lithium) in 1976 and ’77, The breaks were like nothing I’d ever experienced. Nothing you could explain. It all came down to me – everything had meaning – colors, TV, people’s looks on the streets. I was told I was “manic depressive” by the doctor in the City Hospital, and was then sent to the old fashion real Mental Hospital. I’m glad I was young at the time, and manic. Otherwise I would have been too freaked out in such a place. My psychosis had be believing I was part of a documentary, me being the subject. I ran with that. Second break I was put in the State Hospital, then back to City, This was only after I was taken from a very expensive and exclusive hotel in Boston, that I had been living it. (?) When Manic Depression became Bipolar it lost its’ severity. I once asked Carrie Fisher about that and she said Bipolar now was considered “everyone with a mood.” My depressive side has shown now. I take LIthium and anti-depressants. It’s no fun and no fake. But you do feel like you are a member of an exclusive club, and you usually have a unique and accurate impressions. I’m 1%.

November 6, 2012 at 11:50 am
(14) lelap says:

“By the way, bipolar people, stop crying out for attention, don’t you know that mood stabilisers will destroy your soul? The funny thing about them is they will make anyone’s mood stable, bipolar or not! And the side effects are so damaging to you physically – check your thyroid function, liver function, the majority of you will have issues if you don’t already … stop poisoning yourselves. Learn to live with yourselves they way you are or you could end up having your own psychotic episode and taking it out on innocent people too.”
I used to get attention onstage performing –it was the most satisfying thing I have ever done. If medication caused me to “destroy” my soul, I doubt I would have been successful in my theatrical pursuits. The side effect of being Bipolar and going without treatment is death. I would rather have the side effects of the mood stabilizers or anti-depressants than be so depressed that I can not function at all.
I wish people like you, would not speak of things of which you have no knowledge. “Heaven truly knows that thou art false as hell.
Othello (4.2.50)~~William Shakespeare.

November 6, 2012 at 12:02 pm
(15) Maeve says:

I am so sorry to read that even those who’ve suffered from this mental disorder are still in denial. To illustrate John Holmes as an example is really sad and disgusting, because that person had all the warning signs that he was going to do something pre-meditative and destructive, which is an extreme case and borderlines on that guy suffering from psychosis. No, the real issue here is the argument where “B” said that he was diagnosed under different but related mental disorders, and since all of them are wrong, therefore mental illness is a fabrication and no one is “really” sick. Right? This reminds me of my father who would make similar, very intelligent, overarching rational about his mental illness before he was properly diagnosed with bipolar disorder. So, I would say, that the fault isn’t that this guy is claiming that there is no mental illness – we wouldn’t have a whole branch in behavioral sciences or psychology devoted to the treatment and care of individuals in need – or the social workers to do the follow up case work, if it wasn’t a reality. Nope, after reading this account, I would say either “B” is just off his meds, had stopped taking his meds, or about to start an illegal treatment on meds. Either way, he hasn’t come to terms with his own mental disorder, nor has he learned the trick when coping with a mental illness – get support, talk to folks, talk to your doctors, and when people get nosy about your business, don’t talk to them about your personal business. If they are not supportive and start acting funny because your mentally ill, either educate them or tell them to mind their own business.

November 6, 2012 at 12:23 pm
(16) Helen says:

Are you kidding me?! Try living with BP on a daily basis – see how it feels! Ask my husband what it takes to live with someone that has BP! Talk about needing to be educated! I imagine you would put a red scarlet letter on someone like me saying “Beware! Craving attention!” when all I want to do is be left alone! Talk about being treated as “subhuman” – you just topped the list for doing so!

November 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm
(17) Terry Brent Moses says:

I don’t even know why we would take this person’s comments seriously. Obviously this person has gone through years of medical and psychiatric training and is an acclaimed MD, NOT!!!!

I was diagnosed as bipolar in 1990. I can tell you I was that while I was in college from 1975 through 1979 and probably when I was high school age.

I had a concussion when I was a child when I ran my head into a car door playing with my cousins. My mother had a manic temper. My mother also took the same thyroid medication I take now. Is that a cooincidence or is it genetic? Unfortunately she died from the effects of Alzheimer’s. I am concerned I will get that. Is that also a cry for attention?

I did plenty of things I wish I had not done when I was younger. It took a lot of different combinations of medicaton and talk therapy to get me to the point where I am under control and functional most of the time. Now is my tendency to worry and stress out a cry for help or is it something I have done most of my life? How did I learn that.

You are right about one thing. We need to learn to live with who we are. The issue is though that we are bipolar. I don’t care what the call the syndrome, whether it is bipolar or manic depressive or crazy as a loon or intense moodiness, we have it. I would rather not have it. I’m not trying to attract attention to myself by doing this. I have a hair trigger temper and I don’t know why it gets set off. Usually it is by something relatively small but that is a “last straw” moment that is piled on top of bigger issues that are causing me concern.

So the only thing I can say to you is, if you want to stay off your medication and deny your syndrome or illness or whatever that’s your choice but if I ever run into you, I’m going to give you a wide berth because I don’t know if you are going to be stable enough to be around.

November 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm
(18) Nancy says:

So sad for the person that wrote that letter. My first guess is they might be bipolar and fighting / denying it as many who don’t want to seek help, yet. I heart goes out to those that do. My daughter and niece have a very difficult life because of bipolar. Still praying the right help and exceptance for them. The niece was diagnosed early in age, around 12. ………..I know these girls struggle. I know all bipolar people struggle. I think bipolar insites is a great support groupe.

God Bless,
Nancy

November 6, 2012 at 12:58 pm
(19) Jane Thompson says:

When I wrote my first book, “Sugar and Salt,” About.com kindly let me leave a summ\ary of the book on the site. I have finished another book, “Reboot: A Novel of Biplolar Disorder,” and wonder if they will let me do the same for this book,. I would most appreciate it.

I write books to educate, not only people with BP but their families and friends. I have had bp all my life, but was not diagnosed until I was 37. It took me five years to get the right medication, and I have been stable since. I want to share my experiences with those who are struggling. I’ve been there.

November 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm
(20) james b. ,mckenna says:

This guy has a real problem. He must be voting for Romney. He needs to get a grip. This is an insidious illness to say the least . And just wait if Romney gets in. Mental illness will be in the tank, as far as any support we get from Social Security Disability. We’ll be on a corner with a Tin Cup.
Put me in a room with this clown for 1 min.

November 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm
(21) Terry Johnson says:

On any given day you could say anybody is bipolar!!! Everybody has highs and lows or so called mood swings. You just have to make the correct choice in your decisions!! I reallly dont think you can find a PILL that will FIX your mind!!! but I do believe you can take pills and screw your MIND up!!

November 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm
(22) Jane Thompson says:

When I wrote my first book, “Sugar and Salt,” About.com very kindly allowed me to put a summary of the book on the site. I wonder whether now, that I have finished another book, “Reboot: A Novel of Bipolar Disorder,:” if they will allow me to do the same thing.

I write to educate. I have had bp all my life, but was not diagnosed until 37, so had many adventures. I want to help those with the disorder, but also familly members and loved ones. It took me five years to get the right med. I want to help those who are struggling–I’ve been there.

November 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm
(23) tracey says:

well ive been diagnosed with different doctors and given different names its not funny i had to self analyse and tell them what i thought it was,

November 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm
(24) Kdc says:

I have been ‘different’ my entire life. You make it sound as though there is not a problem; “just” a label. I’m here to tell you that I’ve suffered from low self-esteem, stuttering, bulimia until I was 30, nicotine addiction, on and on and on. Call it what you wish, but don’t tell me it’s been easy and that my bipolar does not exist. I wish it didn’t.

November 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm
(25) Frank Eckert says:

I’m sick to death of having people with bipolar disorder being told it’s all in your head. Do you pretend to be psychotic to get attention? Do you enjoy bankrupting yourself by spending recklessly? Does losing your job because you can’t focus, can’t get out of bed, crumble under pressure, make you feel better because of the attention it gets you?

The phrase “it’s all in your head’ is a correct statement. I have learned that a chemical imbalance of misfiring cells not cooperating with correct motion of action to produce a normal action.

Oh please “I pretend to phsychotic so that people will notice me.” I did not attending acting school and would not know how to even be phsychotic.

November 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm
(26) John Samuels says:

Obviously, this diatribe is extreme. However, by taking the most extreme case against what is the medical model and psychiatric labeling, it makes the idea look ridiculous, and lends credibility to standard psychiatric treatment. This is a propaganda method we learned about as undergrads, and even in high school. There is an element for truth to the psychiatric labeling counter-idea to status quo psychiatry.

Blaming the brain: the truth about drugs and mental health, Michigan State professor Elliot Valenstein provides a pretty coherent and logical case against status quo psychiatry, the medical model, or the idea that mental illness is a “chemical imbalance”.

Interestingly, not in Valenstein’s book, the neurons of the brain are not activated initially by chemicals, they are fired electrically, the chemical neurotransmitter is after the fact, only between the electrical impulses of the already fired neuron. So, psychiatry with its emphasis on controlling the brain chemically, ignores the electrical thought through the neuron that started the thought process in the first place, that is, the medical model based psychiatry that basically says, bipolar disorder requires drug treatment, and puts therapy and anything else in second, third or lower priority.

In the future, the writer of this column should consider presenting a more balance counterview to the medical model, rather than tirades of someone who is unbalanced. There are plenty of balanced counterviews, Scott Shannon, M.D., a very balanced child psychiatrist, Elliot Valenstein, here noted, Sharna Olfman, Joel Glenmullen, etc.

Also, self help in bipolar disorder is something that should be more fully developed.

November 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm
(27) Andrew says:

If Beidoj hasnt got bipolar then obviously all their comments are worthless. I for one have never begged for attention in fact the very opposite i very rarely tell anyone i have bipolar as nobody really understands what it is. Since being put on the right medication i am mosty in a good place and never get weeks of depression any more.

who the hell is this person anyway and why are they so ignorant and why are they allowed to spread there nasty opinions??

November 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm
(28) Tutti says:

I was misdiagnosed for 7 years of just being depressed. Was in depression meds but nothing for the hypomanic episodes. I always spoke at the speed if sound that my son speaks the same way as it’s how I taught him to speak. My depression gets so bad that my son has to remind me to do the most basic of self care. I had no idea I was bipolar until I was having such a big hypomanic episode that it scared my sister so much that she took me to a mental hospital. I thought it was normal to get 3-4you hours of sleep and be up for days doing things around the house at 4am. I have even gone as far as clipping the bushes in my backyard at 4am. I am thankful for my therapist and my meds. I am thankful for the days that are “normal”, although they don’t really feel “normal” to me. Bipolar is real. It is a mental illness. You should get help. I don’t want to go back to being out if control or in the bed for 2weeks. Please get help.

November 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm
(29) Ken says:

Bipolar is a disease beyond one’s control-I know that beyond a shadow of a doubt, although I don’t have it-my wife has it. Ruthless unempathetic individuals, such as this blogger-I wonder if that is a disease or a choice?

November 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm
(30) Gary Bebout says:

Marcia – Is there any way to just display my first name and not first and last? Use Gary. Thank you.

November 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm
(31) Judy Harders says:

This reminds me of Thomas Szasz (sp?) and R.D. Laing from the 70′s. Psychological diagnosis has always been fraught with hazards and it is true that many people who were mildly cyclothymic or just plain idiosyncratic and annoying to their relatives were diagnosed with some kind of psychotic disorder. Laing learned through living with people who were undoubtedly schizophrenic or presented their mania with the thought disorders that define schizophrenia. These patients were not just misunderstood and suffering from childhood trauma. Those of us who have lived with bipolar illness are quite clear from our experience that while childhood traumas may well have made our condition worse and therapy may well help, when experiencing “bat races” in my head in a mixed state, medication was welcome. I don’t know if the writer of this contribution is in denial. She may well find out whether she is or not if her life spins out of control. We must all face our unconscious demons in the darkness of our own souls.

November 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm
(32) DMH says:

Beidoj must be having a bromance with Tom Cruise…

November 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm
(33) Mo says:

He’s craving attention, and he’s getting it….

November 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm
(34) Elizabeth J says:

This is BS… I have bipolar and do NOT want attention. It is so hard to go through the daily BS that at times I feel it would be best just not to be. Obviously this person does NOT know what they are talking about. It is a problem many people have. Perhaps they are just looking for attention by making people feel less of themselves and having them get off meds to distroy them….. Anyone test them for problems?? Someone should.

November 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm
(35) joanne skinner says:

my father has tried to kill himself on two seperate occasions not attempts true wanted to kill himself was very poorly for a long time and as a result of these now has serious health issues you clearly do not or ever have been in close contact with someone with bipolar disorder im foaming at the mouth in rage. NOT A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont speak about something you clearly do not understand so angry

November 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm
(36) Lawrence says:

I was diagnosed years ago with BiPolar Disorder and have been on Disability for 1 year now and the one thing of many things I keep learning is never judge a book by its cover !! You dont know what that person goes thru or has been thru !! I hate when people talk about BPD because they have no clue to what goes on or what its about or they think that your just crazy !! Heck Doctors are still trying to grasp it !! Its weird because BPD affects us all differently and the Medicine is the same way because some may work on you and not me and as the side effects are the same way too !! I dont wish BPD on anyone and especially the Medicines for it because the meds make me feel like im trapped in a bubble sometimes and cant get out !!!

November 6, 2012 at 4:32 pm
(37) Paddy S. says:

To Beidoj and Terry Johnson and others like you…you have NO idea what you are talking about. I was out of meds for only 1 week and sank so low at the end of the week. It is NOT something I choose to feel. Why would anyone WANT to feel like crying all the time, get bitchy at the slightest thing and want to crawl in a hole and disapear? It SUCKS! It is definetly NOT by choice. My medications are a life saver. I feel “real” and “alive” and “normal” on my meds. Off of them I feel terrible, indiscribable. You can only KNOW what we feel and think if you have BEEN THERE. If you have not experienced it you can NOT know what it feels like and how we hate it. It definitly is NOT an attention getter.

November 6, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(38) Diane says:

It is really irregardless what “B” writes or doesn’t write. In truth they are just words, a rant by a person who doesn’t know. I believe just a foolish person. If you are Bi-Polar person you know it, live with it, your families live with it too. It is real and you know it. We cope with it and do it with as much strenght as we can. Ignore the idiots like “B”

November 6, 2012 at 4:42 pm
(39) nancy says:

you are insane if you think biopolar is a myth. I do not get any extra attention for having it, exactly I have lost mostly all my friends, who would want to go through that on purpose. you are not well informed and do not have any idea what you are talking about. I hate taking meds, but I have to because without them I would be a living nightmare. go read some books on Bipolar and get a life would ya, we aren’t bothering you about anything you may going through. bug off!!!

November 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm
(40) pjp1959 says:

Funny, when I am in a bi-polar episode I isolate-I do NOT want attention in any way, shape or form. I don’t like people to see me like that. If this person had ANY idea what it is to live with this illness, they would be eating their words. I wouldn’t wish this illness on my worst enemy and am extremely thankful that there ARE medications to help manage my BP. I believe this person is in complete denial about what’s going on with their own mental health. Now, in my opinion this person is someone to be very afraid of. How absolutely ignorant.

November 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm
(41) basil43 says:

I’m not going to go through all of my Bipolar past. It’s almost the same story that I read on this blog time after time. I won’t tell you how difficult everyday is because you already know. I think that this person may be hypomanic and ranting just a bit. Not to mention the screaming he/she did at the end. I feel sorry that this person did not get the help that he needed. this blogger seems to be sick with a multitude of problems since he/her was misdiagnosed with so many different things.

November 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm
(42) Erica says:

Crave attention? My favorite place to be is at home alone with my husband and pets and I don’t go dancing around like a circus monkey to get their attention, lol.

Driving, being in crowded places, waiting in line, stress me to the point I feel like I’m going to snap. I try to avoid all of these at all costs. Going to work is also extremely difficult. The meds can only do so much for me, I am bipolar, but I’m also anti-social (Thank God my husband is too, makes things easier for both of us.)

I enjoy the peacefulness of just being by myself, and the times I spend with my husband. I hate feeling like I have to explain myself when I do have an episode in public.

November 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm
(43) Gary says:

LeLap: Lab tests are done every few months. You sound like you’re trying to talk yourself out of the possibility you might be bipolar. You are calling an illness fake — or some kind of fad. Who cares what you think. I have been treated in the finest hospitals in Boston and Los Angeles. I trust because I have had that real experience. It’s no performance on a stage. I’ve had 57 years of experience with this, so you can throw Shakespeare around too. Being bipolar is not easy, but it does allow me to see through the bull. It does give me the perception to read your angry comments and say…”Next…” I’m no zombie from any medications. Lithium has been the staple that has kept me mania free. Depression symptoms came later, but were latent. It’s so much fun having this condition, but it is real, unfortunately.

November 6, 2012 at 7:19 pm
(44) Rich says:

I would like to share a Buddhist quote:

“To be angry is to punish yourself for other people’s mistakes”

The author here is arrogant and mistaken. Don’t let it upset you.

November 6, 2012 at 7:37 pm
(45) Namaste250 says:

Sometimes I too think I know everything and have to make sure everybody else knows what they are doing wrong. I call it a manic episode and know to never hit the send button. Too bad this poster didn’t know about the don’t send rule. Sad.

November 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm
(46) Paula says:

Im so sick of people telling me its all in my head! My own mother used to and I hate it. Maybe they should live one day in our shoes and see how it feels to constantly be Up or Down or all around. Its not easy!! Ive lost alot thanks to this lovely Mental Illness , yes I wish it would just go away but not happening. With meds and treatment all I can do is maintain!!!

November 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm
(47) mrmodified says:

many thoughts-most of which have been expressed in one way or another. A thought for future posts that present what someone has said that could ignite a lot of contrarian responses… I wonder if it would be better to not name the person or reference the monicker they used when making the post. Sometimes I suspect people put these posts out there just so their ego can relish in the backlash their post generates. I think this discussion is a good one for the most part but could probably be accomplished without gratifying the original poster and/or enticing others to follow suit and further perpetuate ideas about bipolar that this online community feel are not helpful.

Cheers and strength to all.

November 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm
(48) Bipolar Person says:

I would like to just say one thing to this guy: Go back to the little hole you crawled out of and stay there. Obviously, you have not one flipping clue what you are talking about and there isn’t a “myth” about any mental illness. It’s all stigma and the fear of acceptance. Everyone who has a mental illness deals with the stigma, and most deal with the fear of acceptance – which is denial. You are the primary reason for the stigma. If you don’t have anything productive to add, don’t add anything at all. I would love to know the school where you received your medical degree or psychology degree from.

November 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm
(49) Meghan says:

Experiencing manic psychosis was not fun for me. It was terrifying. I don’t enjoy being terrified. I do everything in my power to keep it from occuring again.

November 7, 2012 at 1:16 am
(50) nutbar says:

This guy is a dangerous idiot. He is obviously completely and utterly uninformed, ignorant and arrogant. Lets hope none of us “crazies” kill him.

November 7, 2012 at 2:21 am
(51) SUZY says:

I have often questioned why those of us with BP are the ones labeled “ABNORMAL”……..I’m just saying ; )

November 7, 2012 at 6:26 am
(52) Dave says:

This all just makes me sick…. I hate this illness… I cant imagine why someone would do this for ‘attention’…. Bipolar is not something you choose because I would certainly not choose it. It has destroyed everything in my world as I know it and I am struggling to grasp hold of anything to keep going so how dare you!!!!

November 7, 2012 at 10:54 am
(53) Mark says:

It’s too bad this gentleman named Beidoj is so narcissistic. Beidoj , not everyone is the same as you and sees the world your way. My experience with people with mental problems , is that the one’s who won’t accept being on meds are usually the one’s that need them the most. The fact that Beidoj denies his problem and has the need to comments by stating that everyone with bi-polar are all the same, tells me he needs serious help, and has not done any research before spouting off and offending people with mental health problems.

November 7, 2012 at 3:39 pm
(54) Connie Small says:

I feel I shouldn’t reply. Remarks like these about Bipolar Disorder being a myth hurt so much. But I can’t just sit here and ignore ignorance. I believe the author of the rant about the “myth” of bipolar just wanted to get us riled up. Well, you were successful. I am angry. I am living proof that BIPOLAR DISORDER IS REAL. I live this disease every single minute of my life. I am a REAL PERSON. I don’t need your attention. I prefer to not draw attention to myself because I am bipolar. I have a lot more going for me besides being bipolar. However, I get extremely ill. I get depression. Deep, dark depression. It’s private and I prefer not to explain it to YOU. I don’t want YOUR attention. My doctor and my family and friends help me thru such a painful experience. I love my manic highs because I get so happy I feel like one of those hot air ballons floating high above the ground, except I believe I can jump from it and land on the ground with no injury because I think I am a superhero. I can spend all my money and YOURS too with no problem. I can out drink you and then get in a car drive 80 MPH home while I can barely see the road BECAUSE I CAN. I do everything extremely fast until I run out of energy or pass out. Usually, unless I contact my doctor or am admitted into the hospital, I can hurt myself. I NEED MY MEDICATIONS TO PREVENT BOTH THE BIPOLAR DEPRESSION AND BIPOLAR MANIA. I am sad that you refuse to accept people have bipolar disorder. You are ignorant on this matter. Let’s hope you never have to find out what it’s really like.

November 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm
(55) Connie Small says:

I’D BE DEAD BY NOW IF I LISTENED TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU BEIDOJ.
I NEED MY BIPOLAR DISORDER MEDICATIONS TO SURVIVE.
I have a tough time getting thru each day. I know because I have stopped my meds all at once and tappered off slowly. I had a hard time accepting I have a mental disease. It’s a extremely painful disorder to live with. I have no choice but to take my meds so that I can operate on my own. I do much better now. I follow what my doctor says and i also research a lot about my bipolar disorder. I am not ignorant. I have learned a lot via reading, attending meetings and group work. I wonder what you have behind your shooting off at the mouth. Your words are hurtful for those of us that are sick. I have 3 family members in the immediate family who have bipolar. In the 2nd and 3rd generation it seems there are more. What is your proof?

November 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(56) C S says:

Maybe you are saying these things because you were diagnosed and refuse to take the medications. If so, I understand your comments. It’s hard to take the medications in the beginning. Especially when you are told you need meds long-term or for life. I went through the ‘I’ll battle thru this without meds’. Well, I promise you, you cannot get through this alone. Some people have problems believing this due to religion. I have heard some religious that you just need to pray more. No, even in God’s Word, people with mental illness were accused of lying or being influenced by the devil or not believing in God enough. They didn’t understand. Even now, in some countries, mentally ill persons are kept hidden in their homes because the family is embarrassed when they could get their family members help. Whatever your reason, please do not blame the rest of us because you have fear of Bipolar Disease. I wish you the best.

November 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm
(57) Anonymous says:

The only attention I’ve ever received from my bipolar illness is negative attention followed by catastrophic consequences. Rather than broadcasting my condition to gain attention, I now go out of my way to keep the condition a secret from all but my closest friends and relatives.

November 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm
(58) Heather Bennett says:

Come on friends, some thngs dont deserve a comment these comments are beneath any of us who truly hang on and hang in.

November 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm
(59) Liz says:

Is this chick on MEDS herself????? Bipolar, unfortunately is NOT a myth. I sure wish it WAS. My husband has been treated for it for about 13 yrs & without the meds, he would be practically impossible for our kids & I to live with him. Another reason it’s NOT a myth, is nobody in their right mind would want to take the meds required to control it. The side effects are awful & many of them are irreversible such as Tardive Dyskinesia (hand tremors). Then there’s the HUGE weight gain. Fortunately, my husband has never been a high weight guy, so it wasn’t very noticeable, but for those with weight issues, it can be disasterous. Frankly, the idiot that wrote this blog NEEDS some meds….MEDS FOR COMMON SENSE & then some to SHUT UP HER BLOG! She’s like those people who troll forums just to start crap. If anyone is “looking for attention” it’s HER! But as she is absolutely nobody in the grand scheme of things she can take her “blog” & her “beliefs” & put them somewhere they’re seriously gonna hurt (LOL). Thanks for bringing this to people’s attention. I am SO sick of ignorant people like her & now that I’ve had my “say”, she’s like “Seacrest OUT!”.

November 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm
(60) Liz says:

@Heather Bennett: That’s a GENIUS comment! People like her, THEY’RE the ones looking for attention & NOT a single solitary person should waste a MILLISECOND on HER/THEM!! Thank you Heather!!

November 7, 2012 at 11:36 pm
(61) blukitty9 says:

oh how sorry i feel for you, no one would be seeking attention with the symptoms of bi-polar, so are people with diabetes just seeking attention too, i am feeling very very puzzled that anyone could think in the way you have expressed yourself. may god have mercy on you.

November 7, 2012 at 11:41 pm
(62) Bipolar Person says:

I also wanted to say, unfortunately, in your case uneducated stupidity is not a myth. I have seen people both off their medicine and on their medicine. I have also experienced both being on my medicine and off my medicine, and I have finally come to get out of the denial stage after 12 years and accept the fact that I will need this medicine the rest of my natural life. Me without my medicine is not a pretty sight. I have tried several times to wean off of my medicine and it ends up the same – at least one trip to the ER. Hell, my wife loves it when I am that way, because I clean the whole house and bake all night long.

November 7, 2012 at 11:46 pm
(63) Amanda says:

Before I would take the advice of an ignorant blogger I would have to go with the advice of my well educated psychiatrist. Any evidence to support Beidjo the Anti Bipolar Bloggers opinions?. Any evidence of this myth? Most every person I know who suffers from this horrible mental illness is creative, talented and intelligent. It’s the silver lining in our dark cloud.

Unfortunately, Beidjo doesn’t share our qualities. I wish her well, and her rant doesn’t mean much.

November 8, 2012 at 2:46 am
(64) Paul says:

I have to admit the majoroty of docs are not any good. I think that is why thsi guy got diagnosed in so many different ways. Much of Europe and the Far East is further along in average non-medical people knowing about bipolar.

This guy who posted that bipoalr is a myth is someone who is expereincing mental illnes and we should help him. He is crying out for help though he tells other not to. Yep, he needs our help

November 8, 2012 at 5:56 am
(65) Leah says:

People like this are either:
uneducated, inexperience or damaged because of or by mental illness.

Comments like this are:
shamefully antagonistic to serve ones self/satisfy a need/an emotional outburst in the hope of damaging others and releasing the rage.

Its a pity people live their lives like this. Let it be their burden, not yours.

November 8, 2012 at 9:01 am
(66) Eileen says:

Oh how I wanted to believe this was all true! That my late in life diagnosis was only temporary. That medication was only going to be needed “till I felt better”. Damn! The truth really hurts. Perhaps if this life didn’t happen to myself, i would feel it was a myth too. I wanted to be “strong”. I wanted to “get over it”. Life ain’t easy, Deal with it. Nope, it’s not easy and yep, I deal with it. Medication and therapy have been a very long road.

I use to pray for physical pain instead. This is my life. Don’t tell me how I feel. And I won’t call you a jack ass. <3

November 8, 2012 at 11:35 am
(67) Missy says:

Yep, all in my head….as I am so consumed with depression that I can’t stop crying, as I hide in my bathroom to not upset the rest of the family, and have cut the other half of my family out so that they don’t have to watch me fall apart. Yep, all for the attention! What a clueless jerk!

November 8, 2012 at 11:38 am
(68) Shelley says:

I am glad to see this has provoked some outrage with others. I see and hear this way too often when dealing with my daughter. No one wants to try and understand what happens to children (and adults) who are really trying to manage on a day to day basis. It is difficult for parents, siblings, grandparents and friends associated and close to someone who is suffering from BiPolar, just as it is for the person who has to go through these episodes. Never has my daughter done things for attention. She is so embarrassed by her mood swings, rages and inability to control these emotions. She tries to hide this from everyone she can and lets it out on those who are closest to her. Peoples ignorance of the difficulties and challenges this poses for those with BiPolar make it more difficult for them to be accepted in any way. Just because someone has BiPolar doesn’t mean they are going to be a mass murder or anything else, but the ignorance of others is what creates the stigma for any type of mental illness. They suffer enough and then have others telling them it’s all in their head and/or that you just need to deal with your feelings. Yeah, like if it were that easy, would we have all the problems associated with any type of illness out there?!! I commend everyone for speaking up on behalf of yourselves and those you care about.

November 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm
(69) Sherri says:

Is that woman insane. Never would I like to be the person I was before I went on treatment. And, my doctor checks all of my levels thyroid,liver,etc…every three months, there is nothing destroying my body. I still have good days and bad days, but thank the high and mighty I was diagnosed and I don’t feel like swallowing a bottle of pills anymore.

November 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm
(70) Kim says:

Gosh I really enjoyed having postpartum depression that robbed me of a lot joy during my babies first months of life. Later in life I found out that I was bipolar. I sure did appreciate those mood stabilizers that helped me not go for 70 plus hours without sleep so that I could in no way think right to do my job as a nurse in a safe manner.

It got so bad I became disabled Which do you think I would rather have for an income SS disability or $40 plus an hour working as a nurse. Yeah sure bipolar is a myth or LOL a choice!!!

goldaun

November 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(71) Gary T Smith says:

I just want to be diagnosed as bipolar at its dangerous level to be legally sedated and to be “in” with the fashion trend all over this shi…tty mundane & stupid society. I have doing my chores what ive found is that i have some or mostly of the “signs & symptoms” but i always been “normal” so this “new” mood disorder is just another way to justify my laziness, indolence and lack of compromise with the things i have to deal in my every day life.

November 9, 2012 at 12:38 am
(72) May says:

I’ve had to stop communicating with my cousin who is narcissistic and who thinks that nothing is wrong with me and that everyone is a wee bit mentally ill. That is rubbish. My father tried to tell me the same thing and I told my therapist what he said and she was appaled. I told my father what she said and he was hushed. He knew he was worng and today is very helpful in my bumpy journay down the road of life. My cousin? I will not talk to her. I have cut her out of my life. It was not the first time she’d insulted me by trivializing me and telling me that nothing is wrong with me and that her life is so much worse. What else can one expect from a Narcissicist? I am better without her in my life. I have no time for those who want to play psychiatrist and therapist and feel quilified due to the fact that they too are human beings and have life experiences. They are the ones who make our painful but brilliant and creative lives so hard to live.

Love to all my bipolars out there. Live in peace when you can and enjoy your different outtake on life.

November 9, 2012 at 8:21 am
(73) Gemma says:

This is all very interesting, all the good info comes from other people on the internet, not the professionals who seem to have very limited knowledge beyond pharmaceuticals that are inefficient and dangerous.

John Samuels message 26
I’ve long thought that bipolar was electrical (not chemical and probabaly induced by some sort of trauma and/or hereditary. I’m not educated but am interested in other methods of healing.) It is interesting that lithium is a salt which increases conductivity.

November 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm
(74) Karen says:

Obviously this person has no real concept of just how devastating it is to have one episode of feeling higher than mount everest and then fall suddenly to severe depression. Until you live with this illness and it sets you on a rollercoaster through your life you have no business talking about it. Bipolar a Myth are you crazy??? My Grandmother was a very long time ago and it was swept under the rug, well needless to say there were no what you call pharmaceuticals then and she set herself on fire. You should study articles and books first then maybe you will change your attitude. Bipolar is real it is a chemical imbalance in the brain and going through trauma makes it worse.

November 10, 2012 at 7:36 am
(75) mamakat says:

“People are just individuals trying to belong in a sociological system controlled by conformists who want us all not to buck their system.”
I’m guessing that by “people”, Beidoj mean people with bipolar disorder. I hate to burst Beidoj’s bubble , but I have BPD and I agree with this statement.This statement is one of thbe beauties.of our illness. Our worldview is colofufl and imaginative. We can see society operating at a more fulfilling level, so it is difficult for us to belong in society the way it is now.

I suffer with my BPD and take a mouthful of meds three times a day. I am not very social and don’t go where there are a lot of people. My creativity is now inhibited, my spontaneity all but disappeared. I mourn these losses. However, there are many blessings. Our own unique, vibrant personalities, our nonconformist views, and our individuuuuality. We can build on these traits.

Let’s celebrate our differences and, once stablized, be grateful for this disorder that has enriched our lives in yet unseen ways for many of us. BPD is very real, too real. The pain and the agony exist, but we come out on the other side, strong and, as one of my collegues says about me, “…….the sanest person I know.”

November 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm
(76) Liz says:

There’s many excuses for not seeking medical treatment, but there’s NO excuse for ignorance. History is full of these people. It’s time mental illness is recognized as the DISEASE/ILLNESS it is, instead of being either dismissed or considered “attention-seeking”. Living with a bipolar person can be straight hell, but when you love someone, you do whatever is necessary. I’ve been married to someone with bipolar for almost 15 yrs. & with him for almost 21 yrs. It’s been a rollercoaster sometimes, but I’d rather be with a man I love WITH bipolar, than be with some ignorant jackass without it. My husband is probably the LEAST attention seeking person I know & the cost of the meds is outrageous. So if I got this straight, Beidoj thinks that being broke from medication costs, miserable side effects from these expensive medications, mood swings that are uncontrollable & all the other crap that goes with it, is “attention seeking, wanting to be cared for & controlled by medication”? Sometimes you just gotta shake your head at people with no sense because what I REALLY want to do to people like him/her (from the name, I don’t even know what gender they are!) is highly illegal, immoral & would probably get ME put on medication-LOL!! But seriously, small-minded people Beidoj is one of the biggest reasons the world is what it is today. And I thought the Dark Ages were 5th-15th centuries AD…..guess I was wrong (along with the history books-haha!!). In closing, Beidoj needs to go right back under the rock he/she crawled out from under. The world’s already in a mess without medieval thinkers such as they. BTW: this comment is from/by my husband & I: “If you think bipolar isn’t real, just looking at my husband cross-eyed on the days when his bipolar is at it’s worst, he’d put you through a woodchipper”. Still think bipolar is a “myth” Beidoj????

November 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm
(77) Steven says:

Whether bipolar is real or not, I don’t think people really care. If you say that you are bipolar, you are going to be stigmatized. PERIOD. No one will show you compassion. If you DO have bipolar, it is probably better to live without letting people know. In other words, accepting the label bipolar from a doctor limits you in your life. How do you know he or she is right?

Did you know that if you say that there is something wrong with your brain, the stigma actually increases? There was a study done on this. Therefore, it is extremely stupid to let people know your bipolar. What do you people have to be depressed about? There are people without limbs, without food and water, and without families. I’ll have to agree with this poster. MAJORITY of you are making excuses, if bipolar is indeed legit. Isn’t it odd that the number of bipolar people has increased over the years? “I have bipolar, therefore I have an excuse.”

Heck, what do I know. I’m just an ignorant twit.

December 3, 2012 at 9:10 pm
(78) Cathy K. says:

B sounds to me like someone who has some form of mental illness and is living in denial. I think leaving a comment like this is some sort of backhanded cry for attention. I am not offended by his raving; instead, I feel truly sorry for this person. The reference to the person who committed such atrocities at that movie theater is spurious and over the top; nonsense, really. Much like everything else s/he wrote.

December 19, 2012 at 9:54 am
(79) philly says:

I If any person has ever read Rod Styron’s short book(maybe 100 pages?) about his especially depressive experience with bi-polar illness and doesn’t re-adjust their thinking if it needs it. This reminds me of when an uncle of mine said a while ago after I told him, myself, face to face about me learning about being bi-polar three years ago, etc.. He said “so your ok with it-got it under control now”
I mean what can you say to him thats worth bothering either of you for after that comment, or when I mentioned seeing a counselor recently, to my aunt. She said “what for?”. Pick who you deal with and who you don’t about this, for your health.

merry christmas and happy hannakah!

January 10, 2013 at 10:55 am
(80) Fredrich says:

I’ve just gotten around to reading that persons opinion, My dad used to say to me, “you go to the hospital for a vacation”. I’m now 48, have been unemployed for more than 5 yrs. No girlfriend or car, & am barely surviving. That guy who made the comment doesn’t have a clue what I’ve gone through & continue to go through.

April 23, 2013 at 3:39 pm
(81) separatist says:

Ahaa, its nice discussion on the topic of this post at this place
at this weblog, I have read all that, so now me also commenting here.

July 14, 2013 at 4:57 am
(82) hunter says:

You are right, its all bull.Don’t feel bad, I fell for the psycho bull,too. Its all fraud. Man, the drugs got a lot of them pn here.The way yhey rant and rave.

July 17, 2013 at 8:10 am
(83) JRD says:

This is the standard practice since Psycho pharmacology was invented in the 50′s. Find a cure. Create a disease to match that cure. Its a brilliant scheme, as long as you don’t mind hurting – or in more than a few cases, killing, – someone.
Its easy to put the responsibility of ones own “condition” in the hands of the Doctors and Nurses at the Mental Hospital. Its comforting to have a pill to rely on (or many pills in most cases) instead of having to attain the self – discipline needed to change ones own behaviors and attitudes.
I was told two years ago that I was Bipolar and I was more than happy to believe it. I was ready to push the responsibility for my own careless and childish behavior off on someone else. My Doctors (who have all happily accepted “grant money” and “meals” from big Pharmaceutical companies, according to Pro Publica) were more than pleased to prescribe me a laundry list of mood stabilizing chemicals to keep me “in check”.
And I was thrilled to take those pills. They were my way out. Those pills kept me from being accountable because I had a Disease.
The fact was – and still is – that I had some real growing up to do. My actions had landed me in hot water with my family and creditors. Let me say that again. My Actions. It would be up to me to get myself out of the mess I created.
I had failed to grow up. I had failed to become a responsible member of society. I had failed to control my temper or behave maturely. Failure is hard and no one wants to hear that its “all your fault”, even when it truly is. But the disaster I had created, the base impulses I had indulged in and the money I had squandered were all my responsibility. If I were to ever grow – to learn from my mistakes – I would have to own them first.
I wish you all luck, and hope that someday soon the terrible veil of lies and treachery woven by the pharmaceutical industry will be lifted.

April 8, 2014 at 11:26 am
(84) Donna Smart says:

I would give anything not to be Bi-polar. I have lost so much in my lifetime because of the problem it is unbelievable. I was sick from age 19-42 before I was diagnosed. Even with medication I have to work hard not to be sick because of Bi-polar. The man who feels Bi-polar is a myth needs to get a grip on himself because with that type of thinking if he is truly Bi-polar he is liable to have a very rude awakening. He has left himself unmediated and he could be in for some serious problems. We all know what things we do when we get manic. I truly feel sorry for him and hope he either comes to his senses or that perhaps he really isn’t Bi-polar.

April 8, 2014 at 11:54 am
(85) judy says:

Bless all the people valiantly struggling with this illness. You are all heroes in my book. Daniel Amen does brain scans. You can look him up. You can look at pictures of the differences. Shame on the people critical without doing real research on the topic. You can look up the statistics for inherenting bipolar. They are finding many genes are responsible. They are finding diet changes and certain vitamins help too. I encourage everyone to pursue these to complement your meds. Also a program called WRAP developed by Mary Ellen Copeland who has bipolar but it is a program which can benefit anyone. Ignore the people who have not done their homework. I also recommend suggestions in the books by Stephanie Marohn. I hope this makes a difference for at least one person. Also the support offered by NAMI peer and Family to Family education. Look them up in your local area. The classes are given by other trained family members or peers. Volunteer in your area or go to meetings and classes. They helped our family regain hope.

April 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm
(86) bpladybug says:

Marcia – it was irresponsible of you to print that misinformed, ridiculous tirade again. You should not have given that ignorant person a second chance to spread fear and misinformation.

April 8, 2014 at 5:17 pm
(87) April says:

Well, I think it’s pretty clear when he says he’s been diagnosed and then refuses to be medicated…this is why he wrote that diatribe.
A lot of people don’t realize that your bipolar isn’t mine. Or hers. It’s on a spectrum, like autism.

I agree that the meds have terrible side effects and kind of agree that they can crush your soul at times.

But…that’s about it. Does everyone have mood swings? Sure. That’s like saying everyone can be bisexual if they had to.

However, BP is so much more than that and it’s truly sad that the majority have NO IDEA about that part. There’s no awareness. That bothers me.

Thank you for your blog. It’s nice to feel ‘normal’ at times. Why not do one on the bipolar gifts? The creativity and higher level of intelligence?

April 8, 2014 at 5:34 pm
(88) Dan says:

My favorite was when I was told, by a mental health professional no less, to “think happy thoughts”. I switched doctors IMMEDIATELY.

I have what my p-doc called bipolar depression.

April 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm
(89) Weirdharold says:

Beidoj said
<i>”I suffered many years of being diagnosed with everything from schizophrenia to personality disorders to bipolar.”</i>

So now I drink!

I bet that is the result.

April 8, 2014 at 8:43 pm
(90) carolyn robe says:

. I just listened to the celebrity doctor Gabor Mate. for five hours. He too believes that mental illness is rooted in trauma…..and does not seem to fully accept the usefulness of the labeling. For me, it made all the difference, being diagnosed led to proper treatment. But part of the illness can be refusal of treatment,,I was surprised to hear my doctor say that there is an overdiagnosis of bipolar these days. Stigma–what can be more stigmatizing than to hear of high profile killers as being bipolar, as if that were an explanation for their violent acts…….To me it is not that simple. There could be other factors perhaps.

April 8, 2014 at 10:24 pm
(91) Sunil says:

Ignoramus. Plus all possible synonyms.

April 8, 2014 at 11:09 pm
(92) Suzy says:

I wonder if he’d feel the same way about bipolar disorder if he ever: 1. sees me go off my meds. 2. watches my scary rage meltdowns. 3. Days of crying that I can’t help it, nor stop. 4. Days when I never want to stop, but eventually crash.

It may be true that this dude was diagnosed with Schizophrenia, then left that comment b/c he’s completely out of touch with reality!!!!

April 8, 2014 at 11:30 pm
(93) Patti says:

I liked what April said today April 8, 2014. Everything she said was spot on the truth and made a perfect “argument” to what the original guy said.

I’m not sure if he wrote anything about heredity being a big part of the diagnosis of bipolar or any mental illness.

April 9, 2014 at 1:28 am
(94) ann d..... says:

this comment is wrong and right i think as it makes general statements about bi polar which can be found in aybooks you read about bi polar. living with it is a totally different sonario. . restrictions,med and other things

April 9, 2014 at 4:01 am
(95) helen says:

I have never heard of something so ridiculous.My son suffers from bi polar and when off medication tt becomes a real nightmare.

April 9, 2014 at 6:23 am
(96) saftey says:

Be strong you moron!
Next time you cut yourself and need any medical procedure insist on no anaesthetic.. you will now wont you? Be strong.

April 11, 2014 at 7:55 pm
(97) Lizzy says:

Hey,

This is for missy don’t lock yourself in the bathroom and cry. Pick up the phone and make an appointment with your doctor. Depression is a nasty thing that most people don’t understand. It last longer than loss a job or even a death in the family. If you have a therapist maybe you can talk over the phone. If you are bi-polar 2 so am I and you depression does not last as long as those with bi-polar 1. Remember we have a diagnosis that might steam from childhood. Maybe if we deal with the emotional upset from childhood. We can cope better.
be strong you can over come this is not fun but it does not last for 12 months.

Cymbalta works for me maybe you can try it to pull out of that depressed state.

Good Luck

April 11, 2014 at 9:46 pm
(98) booboo says:

Ha. Such a raucous. My ex doctor once told me the same thing childhood trauma and upbringing. All i say is oh well…..next…ha
I did find some things inspirational enough to me to write down from this bloggy thingy.
Thanks Marcia Purse, im one of the ones that missed this the first go around. As per usual your postings are current!