Warnings for Effexor and Effexor XRThe most important thing to know before taking Effexor is that it must not be used in combination with another type of antidepressants called MAO inhibitors or MAOIs (for example, Nardil [Phenelzine], Marplan [isocarboxazid] and Parnate
Effexor WithdrawalDr. Ivan Goldberg recommends starting at low dose and building up gradually, and also warns against stopping use of Effexor abruptly. Withdrawal syndrome, which may be severe and prolonged, can occur even if the medication is tapered off. Symptoms may include:
- unstable moods,
- gastrointestinal upset,
- recurrence of depression,
- bizarre dreams,
- paraesthesiae (abnormal sensations of burning, prickling, tingling, etc.), or
- auditory hallucinations.
Effexor / Effexor XR Side EffectsWhile the registered side effects list for Effexor / Effexor XR is not long, some sources say many more side effects exist that are not registered. Therefore, it is very important to monitor your physical and mental condition closely while you are taking this drug.
Other Precautions Regarding Effexor / Effexor XRMake sure your doctor knows your complete medical history. Effexor may not be a good choice if you have:
- Brain disease or damage, or mental retardation, or a history of seizures - the risk of seizures may be increased
- Heart disease or high or low blood pressure - venlafaxine may make these conditions worse
- Kidney disease or liver disease - higher blood levels of venlafaxine may occur, increasing the chance of side effects; your doctor may need to adjust your venlafaxine dose
- A history of mania - the risk of developing mania may be increased; obviously this is very important for bipolar patients to watch for
Other Important Facts About Effexor / Effexor XR
- It may take several weeks for the effects of this medication to kick in.
- Take as directed, with food, and do not break, crush or chew tablets or open the capsules.
- If you miss a dose, do not take a double dose to make up.
- Be cautious for side effects when taking any over-the-counter medications with Effexor or Effexor XR.
- Health Square indicates that elderly persons or those with liver disease or high blood pressure should check with their physicians before combining Effexor with Tagamet (cimetidine).
- Health Square (above) also reports that this medication may cause water retention in the elderly.
- Nausea is the most commonly reported side effect. The manufacturer says this will usually diminish within two weeks.
- Animal test results show that use of Effexor while pregnant or nursing may not be wise, and there have been no controlled studies to date in pregnant women.
- Effexor and Effexor XR may cause weight loss; this weight loss is usually small, but if a large weight loss occurs, it may be harmful in some patients.
The Bottom Line or Effexor / Effexor XREffexor may be a good choice for treatment-resistant depression or depression with anxiety. When taking either form of this medication, however, report anything unusual to your doctor, as side effects have been reported that are not listed in the patient insert. These additional side effects are said to be rare, but it's best to be cautious.
Disclaimer: This profile is not intended to be all-inclusive or to replace information provided by your doctor or with the prescription from the manufacturer.