- Is the medication approved by the FDA for use in children?
- What empirical research is available relating to the use of the medication in children?
- Does the medication have solid history and track-record in treating children?
- Are there any non-drug treatments available?
- Should therapy be considered in addition to the drug treatment?
- Is the child upset by symptoms to be treated?
- Do the symptoms disrupt the child’s life?
- What are the potential side effects?
- Do the benefits of the drug outweigh the side effects?
- Will the side effects interfere with day-to-day activities?
- Are there any problems that could arise with long-term use?
- Is there a family history of bipolar disorder?
- Has a family member had a medication-induced episode?
- How does your child feel about taking medication?
- Do all caregivers agree?
- Are parents, grandparents, etc. on board with the treatment plan?
- What role, if any, will siblings play?
- How closely will your child’s doctor monitor the treatment?
- What are the policies of your child’s school?
- Will you need to make special arrangements?
- Does insurance cover this medication?
- Will you have any out-of-pocket expenses?