If you have bipolar I disorder, you experience mania. Share your experiences with these symptoms, and read what others have said.
Manic two weeks
- I have only recently discovered that what i've always called and my family have called "having a wobbly" was actually a manic episode. Ive had them throughout life just never known what they were and just accepted it. I had always been able to find my way back home , usually. When i have a manic episode i do everything to excess i either binge or eat and eat till i can move or feel sick. Or i eat nothing or hardly anything at all. I will drink large quantities of alcohol and if i can get my hands on them i will take drugs also. dont care what it is ive got to have it. It like living on impulse it pops into my head and i will do it. I have lots of sex which brings me to the title name. I had a manic episode in which i had soo much sex that i caused damage to that area even after the damage was done i still continued searching for sexual partners i felt possessed. When i finally came back down i went all the way down as i had realised that i cant remember what i did or who i did it with :(
Am I bipolar
- I go through many of the stages I have read above ^^. There's times where I am esctatic, as though i am on the top of the world and nothing can bring me down, my boyfriend says I talk fast, and there is times where its to silent and I feel the need to talk. I can go two three hours a night and wake feeling good, as in not tired and it feels like I slept all night. However in a matter of seconds all that can change I can become extremely angry at everyone, and lash out. I have two kids which I have noticed I get irritated with them where I just need walk out of the room due to not wanting to hurt them. When I get angry I trash the house throw things, punch holes in wall, etc, there is times where i do feel everyone is mad at me or no one loves, I get suicidal at times, I have never acted on it but when i get in the depression part I want to be left alone, I don't want no one to talk to me, be near me or touch me or else ill go in to a fit and freak out. Is it possible I could be bi-polar. [Guide's note: With these severe symptoms, it's urgent that you talk to a medical/psychiatric professional immediately to get a diagnosis and some help!]
- —Guest guest barbie
in response to marie
- I dont know how old Marie's comment is but Im responding in case I can help. What your describing is very similar to what I have experienced (obsessive thoughts of becoming a pedophile). I didn't tell anyone due to the extreme shame and self loathing the thoughts made me feel. However the distress and shame I felt took its toll and I became severely depressed. Luckily I revealed these thoughts to a psychiatrist who gave me a diagnosis of OCD. Obsessional thoughts of the aforementioned kind are a common, but little publicised, obsession in OCD. You also don't have to have compulsions or rituals to have OCD. If you go on the wiki entry for OCD you will see pedophilia listed as an obsession, or 'intrusive' thought. Obviously i'm not a dr but it seems very similar to what Ive experienced. Anyway regardless of OCD you said these thoughts distress you a sure sign you arent one- a pedophile wouldn't feel distressed by their thoughts but rather pleasure. btw my ocd began at 11, I'm 22 now and ok.
- —Guest francesca
im BD II
- when im in my manic state, i talk a lot, nonstop. im running all over the place. i cant stand doing anything without multitasking, like watching tv,browsing a lot and walk around my room, texting. at the same time!! then when it time to sleep i feel like my body wont let me rest. this thing really screwed my sleep time
- —Guest lizzie
Latest episode of my Manic time
- Overwhelming feeling of hyper excitement I find myself wanting to do everything at ten miles a hour OSD everything being in its place...erges to do dangerous things. I become very indispensable nothing can stop the feeling of power believing Im more important then anybody of authority and hear voices that encourage my behavioral mood swings and usually think I have super natural powers and chase my past fixing and planning to destroy or disrupt ppl lives that hurt me in my past.. Paranoia.,Scares me... .I found myself talking and shouting at the TV and when listening to the radio, my thoughts In my day would be answered, good and bad thoughts. chasing a puzzle in my thoughts an having to put it together in a few minutes or something bad will happen. lack of sleep looking out of windows seeing things that ppl are watching me. keeping everyone in the house up love being in the darkness.. walking my family around my house whispering that its been bugged.
- —Guest meshell
How to tell I'm in mania mode
- 1. I tend to talk way too fast. I stutter and drop words in an effort to get everything out. While trying to talk, my arms and hands become overly animated trying to emphasize what I'm saying. 2. I feel like I'm invincible. Like nothing can harm me. That's when I start to do dangerous things like driving aggressively. 3. I spend money like there is no tomorrow and it's not my money to spend.
- I have mostly hypomanic or mixed episodes. Honestly I prefer the hypomanic to the mixed episodes. In a hypomanic cycle I am super excited, happy, talkative, hyper hopeful about everything, the world makes perfect sense and I have a very talented and brilliant mind. Oh yeah, I am also overly positive, super confident and think I'm totally awesome. I love the world and the people in it and want to be social and make lots of plans. I have had some very severe full blown manic episodes too. They werent even as bad as the mixed episodes. In a mixed state, I have all the manic symptoms AND all the depressive symproms at one time. It is literally HE'LL. I hate the world, hate myself, hate my life but at the same time my mind races, my heart races, I laugh hysterically at jokes, say inappropriate things, think horrible violent thoughts about I love, have odd and frightening sexual fantasies, hear noises, see things out of the corners of my eyes, and have thoughts of suicide along with delusion
- —Guest Amy
- when im manic i totally sleep around with several people including in laws (bad me) i cant help it i have no control over my urges i go on drinknig and cocaine binges no sleep no eating cleaning like crazy super chatter box about anything & nothing then get psycho angry making holes in the wall my kids think im completely insane. but i feel so great like im on top of the world when i'm like this
- —Guest crazy143
am I bipolar?
- Oh god. I'm only a fourteen year old girl and I felt my sexual behavior wasn't normal so I took a sex addiction screening quiz and it said I was an addict. Then I started to be consumed every minute of the day with a fear of being a pedophile. Its been four days since I started these obsessive thoughts and if I'm not thinking about sex in general then I'm trying to suppress my fears of hurting children. What is wrong with me? Am I bipolar? I'm often waking at night with distress and tossing and turning. I feel like I'm trapped in my own sick brain and I want to be free. Help please? Answers?
- —Guest marie
- I am a 40 year old that has had many struggles in my life. The most important one is my Bipolar... My most recent attack was with my boyfriend. I have been trying to find the right medicine for me. During the trying to find I was self medicating with alcohol, I got drunk and my boyfriend came home and I started throwing his things out to the street. He noticed I was having a manic episode and began to hold me still because I tend to hurt him or my self. Well he had a cast on his had and it scratched my face up. I then proceeded to call the police and tell them he assaulted me. Why I don't know. So now he sits in jail facing Felony Assault and battery charges. I am at a loss because he has to go through this. He could be facing 5 years for my manic episode. I don't know what to do. The DA thinks I am not able to pick the right man in my life due to my mental issues. I live a normal life and very successful at work. I am normal other then these manic episodes. [Guide's note: Is it possible for you to tell the DA you want to drop the charges? If not, tell his lawyer the truth.]
- —Guest Angela
- right now I am in my manic depressive stage....I know cause I feel overly happy yet sad...my mind will not rest....and I am doing weird things.
- —Guest Hope
I don't feel like me
- Ok today I was at my worst I just snapped walked out of my collage and left just felt like no one was listening to what I have to say I just snapped i don't know what I did wrong I don't even remember what happened I just needed to get out of there before I killed someone then when I got home I went really lowwww I wanted to die I thought I'm crazy what is wrong with me I prolly nog making any sence right now anyways thought are racing I used to be on lithium and decided to stop well that was dumb so a year later after stopping my episodes are more frequent once a month and very different each month I'll have a high one month and it may last for 2 then I drop deep into depression I don't want to fo anything I want to die or I'll get extremely angry and loose all control I just can't control my anger I snap and almost every month too I'm just done with it all I'm going back on meds it's getting worse not better
- —Guest Katrina
- My mania manifests itself in my ability to function at a frantic pace on about 2 hours of sleep, to prolifically write (I blog), to start 19 projects at work without the capability of seeing any of them through to completion. I'm upbeat, chatty, charming though scattered, disjointed and exhausting. In a lot of ways, I'm on top of the world. In other ways, I'm just revving idly waiting for the inevitable crash to happen. I adjust my meds by myself, without my psychiatrist's knowledge or assistance, and sometimes that works out well. Other times, it makes me sicker. My mania lasts between 24 hours and 2-3 days, even though I'm med-compliant and people wonder why it happens at all, and I have no valid explanation.
- —Guest Anniearchy
most troublesome symptoms of my mania
- embarrassed and failed to mentioned my most bothersome manic symptom which happened before my depression struck and i was diagnosed with bipolar I .my hypersexuality was out of control for several years. i was having affairs with many people outside my marriage. my morrals if i even had any flew right out the window. i got so far out of control having sex with any thing and everyone that i had lost who i really was, a married woman. it start usually with thoughts about sexual activity that i would'nt normally do when i was in control of thinking straight and logical and aware of the consequences. al that went right out the window. i wanted to feel every pleasureable thing possible involving sex. you name it i've probilly have done it. the more i engaged in the sexual things it seemed like i wanted even more. that is to continue the high as long as possible. racing thoughts led to led to the acts i experienced. since i'm medicated i am able to recognize when thoughts are out of contro
a delusional mind
- at the start of my mania i am the happiest person in the world every thing seems to make sense i know exactly what to do i have loads of positive plans, however when i share these plans with my husband i get so irritated with him because he does not share my enthusiasm. i am every bodies friend i tell every body every thing. i drive faster and can time pulling out of a turning with precision timing, my brain is on fire, it is working at it's optimum, it's as if everything i touch turns to gold. i survive on very little sleep and wake up with brilliant ideas for a book and rush down stairs to scribble down my fantastic ideas. i am constantly at the shops buying materials for my latest new project. then one day my body begins to ache but my brain is telling me to go faster, i can't keep up but my brain races on, my body gives up but my brain won't give in i can't stop it thinking it won't give me a break, and then one day i wake up and its as if my brain has broke nothing makes sense.